Unfinished Furniture Questions

I am considering going the unfinished furniture route for some bedroom items.

Does anyone have a sense of whether, after the cost of supplies, this is a reasonable way to end up with presentable items at a decent savings? I've painted some small cheap items before (bookshelves, etc.) and they are okay but look like I painted them myself. There are brush marks and some uneven spots, even though I did apply a primer. It is possible to make something presentable on a budget? Does it require expensive spray equipment to make the paint or finish look good?

On one hand, the unfinished items seem to be of better quality than the stuff that a lot of stores sell that looks alright but seems to be really cheap quality (like wood fronts and cheap cardboard or particle backs). On the other hand, I don't want the finish to look bad.

Has anyone successfully completed such a project? Are their any good online sources for the furniture? Tips appreciated.

This thread has 3 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!