Anyone have a clue what's up with my hydrangea?

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

This hydrangea is blooming beautifully and I enjoy the darker pink color, but what is causing the curling brown edge on the leaves. Any idea??? Possibly the hot sun? too much water??? I worry as we get into the hotter part of summer that this particular plant might get too much sun. Here is South Texas, hydrangeas need afternoon shade from our sun and I'm not sure this spot will work.

Any ideas on the curling brown of the leaves????

Thanks!

Patty

Thumbnail by phughes
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Sunscald will cause parts of the leaves on my hydrangeas to turn yellow, not brown. If the plants do not get enough water then the edges will brown out. As summer approaches, increase the amount the water so this will not happen. Look for signs of wilting too. If wilting remains by next morning then increase the amount of water (of course, reduce when fall arrives). Make sure you have lots of mulch, 3-4". I extend it about one foot past the drip line here in Texas.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I do remember seeing wilting one day and I immediately watered. I will increase the amount of water and double check the mulch; I may need to add some more mulch especially around the base of the plant. Thanks for your reply.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

For the last week or so since the rains in the area let up. I have started to notice a liiiiiitle bit of wilting on oakleaf and mac's here near Dallas / Fort Worth. Not enough to increase my watering schedule yet though. I do have to keep an eye on that though. Probably by month end I will have to increase it. Good luck with your plants, phughes. The first year, before they get established, you really need to keep an eye on them! Luis

Thornton, IL

Hey Patty! What kind of water do you have? The brown edges may be caused by a build up of salts in the soil, look for a white crust on the soil surface. If that is the problem, flush with lots of distilled water. You are right about hydrangeas needing to be protected from Southern sun in the afternoon, or perhaps you are over-watering. I know South Texas is the hottest of HOT! Stick your finger in the dirt up to your knuckle, the ground should be moist, not dry but not soaking wet either. As luis said, a little tricky! Happy gardening.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

THanks Prairie Girl

I am really thinking that this one is possibly getting just a tad too much sun. I don't think it's overwatering because the one right next to it looks great but it doesn't get quite the sun. The salt built up could be it; I'll have to check the soil surface.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Patty

Thornton, IL

Much obliged. :0)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.