Poppie Question

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

A few of my WSing seedling poppies survived our Michigan weather, I plan on planting them out next week. I was just wondering when & how long do these bloom. I am in zone 5. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Connie

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

What kind of poppies are they?

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Ticker,
I am not sure right off, there are a few different ones. I know shirley and california, but the others not sure of.

Connie

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Well, in a couple weeks the Orientals will be done for the season. I'm not sure about the shirley's. I wintersowed some California Poppies called White Linen and Mikado and I think they actually will bloom a couple times through the summer and into the fall.... I had a White Linen blooming last fall in late November...

Monroe, MI

I cut some seed heads from some poppy plants, and then i read about letting them dry on the plant. Have I messed these up for harvesting the seed for planting, or what do I do next.

Greenwich, OH

Always collect the seeds from the plant when the pod turns brown.The seeds will be ready and mature to collect.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Here is my poppy question.

I had one beautiful annual poppy which I watched all summer. It finally bloomed and stem was broken this weekend. I've taken the green seedheads and put them in water, hoping that they will still grow and dry out properly so that seeds will mature.

Rest of the plant I've put into water and left in the garden, hoping that the buds will bloom and be found by insects.

Any ideas? Am I doing the right thing? Will change the water often. Someone in our community garden told me that pods could be matured in the fridge??? Anyone heard of this?

I'm really an iris & Lilium person. Have often cut lily seedpods, put in water in the house and they have matured but.... have never thought about poppies particularly.

inanda aka Ginny

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Ginny, I don't know, but I don't think you have anything to lose by trying to get the pod to ripen.. Let us know how it turns out, ok?

Diann

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I'd like to learn more about the different types of poppies. Is there a thread around here that gives lots of info. to someone relatively new to growing them?

I've grown some annual poppies in the past, but I couldn't tell you what type they were. I have lots of seeds that I've obtained through swaps in the past few months and am looking forward to seeing what they do in '08.

Oh, I also have a couple types of Himalayan poppy seeds, but I don't think that there's much hope for me to grow them in my zone.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

wrightie, why don't you think they would grow there. They should according to plant files.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hmmm, it's my understanding that the Himalayans require much colder temp's and do not do well in our Summer heat and humidity.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Maybe a really shaded area with a good breeze might do them good.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Okay, I've got lots more poppy questions:

1) Regarding the common name "Breadseed" poppies, are the "breadseeds" always Papaver somniferum?

2) Somniferum = "Opium poppy", right?

3) Also, are the seeds from these guys literally the same ones the we bake with?

4) If I want to harvest my own seeds for baking purposes, is there some special treatment that I'll need to give them before I can cook with them?

5) Are my questions annoying you yet? ;>)

Btw, I just threw some meconopsis seeds out onto one of my shady beds and said 37 hail mary's ...

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. dry them well
5. not at all
Btw. good luck with the Meconopsis

Thumbnail by balvenie
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, goody. Thanks. Now, lemme see if I can come up with another list o' questions ...

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Go for it writie. someone will surely have an answer

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Okay, what's the real deal with legalities in the US with regard to Somniferum? Technically, it's illegal to plant/grow them, but everyone does it anyway???

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Quantity. If someone orders in bulk, say 50 lbs. then look out they will be watching you. Most home gardeners only use a small amount that doesn't add up to enough to do anything about.

I also heard something about the seeds being sold to home gardeners not having full potential. Something that is bred into the seed. Don't know how true it is.

I hope someone else as a better explanation or one that is the correct one.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

That all makes sense to moi, and I've read that before.

But, then I'll turn around and read something like this and question things once again: "Notes: This seed variety cannot be shipped to US addresses, regardless of permits."
http://vandusen.plantexplorers.com/product_info.php/products_id/557

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

It's probably one that hasn't been treated yet. It depends on how they got the seed. If they get it from a commercial grower it's probably treated and if it's from a local farmer, it won't be.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

What's funny about that is the seed is the only legal part.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Thats right (but they probably don't know that). It's what the seed does that they think they will get in trouble about.

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

The Federal Law covering various classes of narcotics is an interesting read. I vaguely recall that seed is allowed but leaves, stems and pods are not. It is the milky sap from the stems and pods that contains the opiate, and though the seeds possess an insignificant amount, it is apparently not enough to alarm the law.Generally speaking, it seems the enforcement is not focused upon gardeners with ornamental somniferums in their flower beds. A few acres of them, with folks out there scratching all those pretty pods might draw their attention though.
A body could probably get into more disastrous circumstances by misusing Artemisia absinthum (wormwood) than chewing on a poppy. yuk

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.