rooting a grapefruit seed

San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

My friend asked about a grapefruit seed she has that has a few short roots starting. She wants to know if she needs to keep in water and what to do when the roots gets bigger? Can anything grow from it?
Thankls, Elizabeth

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Yes, she can plant it in a good potting mix, and it will grow a grapefruit tree :). Oranges and limes grow true from seed, but I don't know about grapefruit. You might try the "Fruits and Nuts" forum, they might know more. I am trying key lime seeds, myself.
HTH
Margo

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I know this answer... no water. Tell her to pop it in soil. My DM kept one as a houseplant while we were growing up. In a northern climate it didn't grow large.

About 18-20 years ago I had seeds that were sprouting so I thought ~ why not?

As I understand, fruit trees are grafted? The seeds will return to the original and will not produce fruit. I may not be saying that correctly but mine have not bloomed or delivered. The foliage smells wonderfully citrus if pinched. The tree has thorns which I learned too late that I should have clipped off from the beginning. The trees have become monsterous ~ over six feet tall. To keep them in pots, I have to remove them yearly and cut the roots back by about 1/3 to 1/2 and add fresh soil. If I don't do this, they will need a phenomenal amount of water in summer.

This is one of them...

Thumbnail by podster
San Angelo, TX(Zone 7b)

Thank you for your help and I will let her know!!
Elizabeth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.