Two little ones $5.00 each

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I couldn't resist! From this collection, I got Vienetta and Cassis - http://www.guernsey-clematis.com/collections.asp?collection=GARLAND

I know they're probably not a good plant for $5.00, AND they're supposed to be "bred to grow and flower as an indoor plant for 2-3 months" before being planted in the garden, so they're been trained onto this little hoop. But for $5.00 each, I figured if they didn't make it, it wouldn't be much of a loss. And they're so cute! Little tiny leaves and little tiny flowers. The ones I got aren't flowering yet but have some buds, but some of the others at the store had flowers.

So, what do you think? Should I really leave them potted and in the house for a couple of months, or go ahead and put them in the garden? My first instinct is just to plant them.....

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

IMHO..Clematis aren't for growing indoors..$5.00 is a bargain....depending on the root system..you didn't say what size they are ...if I was you and they are very small plants I would pot them up in a one-gallon pot and sink the pot into the garden in morning sun..remember to keep it moist..NOT SOGGY but moist and by fall ..they should be big enough to go out in your gardens permanently..I have planted clematis this time of the year directly into my gardens..but I am ANAL about keeping them watered for them to adapt and not be stressed...Jeanne

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah, I didn't think they should be house plants, either! But it was such a good price, I figured it was worth a shot.

Well, they aren't gallon sized, but they aren't teensy, either - I guess quart sized? It's that in between pot. You may recall I had another thread about my other Clematis that were little bitty that I planted without knowing you should grow the roots first. So, I could plant these near those, since I'm watching them anyway. But, on the other hand, I don't know that I want to crowd them all together. I think I'll probably plant them and just be careful. Pretty much my whole front yard is new and I'm having to watch all the plants to get them established anyway, so this would be just a couple more.

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

I would pot them up to gallon size and leave the planting to the Fall. If you're not sure of where to put them or how they will combine with your other plants, they are a lot more portable in pots.

Marie in ME

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

WHERE did you get them for 5 dollars?

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

The Houston Garden Center right down the street from my house had a display with "Special - Clematis $5.00". As I said, they they are all tied up into this little hoop and are being marketed as an indoor blooming plant, so it's not a regular Clematis. From what I could find online when I looked them up, they are probably being sold mostly at grocery stores, drug stores and that kind of thing, rather than nurseries. So, maybe keep your eyes open in those kinds of places to see if they're in your area.

Here is a link that shows how it is potted. Mine doesn't have any flowers, but it's exactly like this otherwise. http://xmas.thompson-morgan.com/product/6001/1

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow that is a great deal. The same size sells at Trader Joe's for 9.99 to 15.99

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I thought so too. I figured for that price, it couldn't hurt to try them!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I finally got a chance to take some pics. Here is how the plant looks on its hoop. This one is Cassis and is just starting to bloom

Thumbnail by digigirl
Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

And here's a closeup of the flower. I think it's really pretty!

My first Clematis bloom ever! I am in soooo much trouble...... I could feel myself getting addicted BEFORE I had a flower. Now.....

Thumbnail by digigirl
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

It is beautiful..welcome to our world of Clematis Addiction...Jeanne

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Beautiful bloom!

You've been given excellent advice above. The extra time is well spent by growing out your Clematis and letting the root system become more developed BEFORE planting it in your garden. You Clematis plants will thank you by rewarding you with lots of beautiful flowers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.