Silly question....

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi there - never asked a question about Clematis before - but I am befuddled as to why the blooms on my Clematis are a different size this year than last - even the color don't seem right -the blooms were HUGE last year and a really intense color - it lives in a planter and seems happy to do so - I can't remember what it is either

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Now this year the blooms are much smaller, the plant itself is more prolific, loaded with buds, but much lighter in color!

Any ideas?????

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Another one from last year

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Did you have that set back because of the late freeze?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Have no idea - it started growing at normal time...

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I'll bet last year was the first year for this clematis for you. The growers do everything to make it gorgeous so we'll buy it. Then we put it into a container and what we do is what normal gardeners do, so the plant performs normally, not all hyped up. This has happened to me too. I'm waiting to see how my Versailles will do this year compared to last year when I first bought it.

It's also my experience that the first year after planting in a container the plant does what all perennials do: first year sleep, second year creep, third year leap. I'm considering this the first year for the Versailles under my conditions, so I'm not expecting much.

Maybe somebody more experienced can come up with a better explanation, but that's mine. :-)

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Great explanation - it makes sense - last year it bloomed with huge dark flowers, this year the growth has exploded and the blooms are, though smaller and lighter, about twice as many as last year!
I have a garden full of perennials that I planted two years ago and they are truly showing their size and blooms this spring! Thanx

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.