Gardenias and epsom salt

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I thought I'd saved the thread that gave the directions for this but...*sniffle, sniffle* I can't find it now. Would someone please give me the "recipe" for how to mix this for gardenias?
Thanks much!!

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

I would follow the package directions and add a tablespoon or less around the base of the plant. Gardenias are not heavy feeders like roses so I would add some monthly or less frequently.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

check out the Texas forum

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's the link. There is a lot of information and success stories on here. :)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/710228/

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ya'll are great!!! Thank you SO much!!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Chantell this is the company link and a little info I had saved in the journal.
[HYPERLINK@www.epsomsaltcouncil.org]

Houseplants: 2 tablespoons per gallon of water; feed plants monthly.
Tomatoes: 1 tablespoon per foot of plant height per plant; apply every two weeks.
Roses: 1 tablespoon per foot of plant height per plant; apply every two weeks. Also scratch 1/2 cup into soil at base to encourage flowering canes and healthy new basal cane growth. Soak unplanted bushes in 1/2 cup of Epsom Salt per gallon of water to help roots recover. Add a tablespoon of Epsom Salt to each hole at planting time. Spray with Epsom Salt solution weekly to discourage pests.
Shrubs (evergreens, azaleas, rhododendron): 1 tablespoon per 9 square feet. Apply over root zone every 2-4 weeks.
Lawns: Apply 3 pounds for every 1,250 square feet with a spreader, or dilute in water and apply with a sprayer.
Trees: Apply 2 tablespoons per 9 square feet. Apply over the root zone 3 times annually.
Garden Startup: Sprinkle 1 cup per 100 square feet. Mix into soil before planting.
Sage: Do not apply! This herb is one of the few plants that doesn't like Epsom Salt.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Kristi,
THAT is perfect...thank you!!!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Unfortunately, I didn't see them mention the gardenias but perhaps you can punt from here. : ) Best wishes....

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

chantell, I applied about 1/2 cup per gardenia and the results were dramatic. My gardenias were giving me fits to the point I had threatened to yank then. Then I read to use ES and it was wonderful. You're supposed to apply twice a year, spring and fall. Up to now, I only applied to roses, but this spring I did gardenias, camellias and azaleas and notice great progress on those plants.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Can you Epson salts in containers for gardenias?

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

I would think so. I have my gardenia in a container. I haven't put epsom salt in it yet, but I was planning on it today. Seems like the rain stopped for a couple of days and now I am hearing thunder right before it is time to go. :( Just when I thought the ground would be just right for gardening...not too wet and not too dry. Go figure!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks! :-)

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Just a reminder Epsom Salt is not really "salt". It is a mixture of trace elements. www.Epsomsaltcouncil.com

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

sorry, that should be .org

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, LouC.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's a lot of good info from Shoe http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/725084/

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

I got fish emulsion today and gave my baby its first feeding. Blech. This stuff is supposedly deodorized. I'd hate to smell it pre-deodorization. :)

-Joe

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh Amen to that...I remember thinking the exact same thing...ugh!!! And if I see cats in my Gardenias...I'm lettin' the dogs out...LOL

South Florida, FL(Zone 10a)

I have tried the fish emulsion before, my nose almost fell off. I will try something else. Aside from coffee grounds, my gardenias get Osmocote feedings three times a yr and foliar feeding once a week. They are nice and green...so far. One is ready to bloom, lots of them too.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

How often do you give coffee grounds to the gardenia? I am new to this. My gardenia is in a container.

I do it once a month, 2 full tablespoons. My hibiscus also get the grounds. Good luck
Buggy

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Freshly ground or used?

used

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Okay - 2 full tablespoons this morning :-)

Don't forget to water, thaty way it gets to working real quick...:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.