McCorkle's Annual Summer Sale

Thomson, GA

Got the message in my inbox the other day, reminding me of the sale I look forward to all year! I hope to go Thursday this year, instead of waiting until noon on Saturday and picking through the leftovers. Are you planning to go, and what are you hoping to find for your garden? http://view.exacttarget.com/?j=fe8f10727c610c7e74&m=fef11079776c03&ls=fe1d13777360007a7d1675

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, I will probably go as I always do if I am in town. The only thing I need is some very tall evergreen trees or shrubs to screen the building that is going up next door right next to our fence - but only if a friend offers to take them home in her pick-yp.

Thomson, GA

I am making my wish list now. I am having no luck with azaleas and hope they have some that may be a little hardier. I also want some more hydrangeas, gardenias and another tea olive or two. I want 3 or 4 white crape myrtles to anchor my daylily fence line. I inspected a house the other day and she had the most beautiful shade garden I have ever seen. Now I am coveting some more hostas. I doubt if they will have any lantana, but I would like some more of those. And the list goes on......Any suggestions o things I simply MUST have???

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Okay... Just how great is this sale?? Is it dirt cheap? Plants in good shape?? Lots of variety?? The best sale ever?? Worth drivng miles and miles.. like 150??

:)

Susan

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

McCorkles is a good sale but I wouldn't think it is worth a 150 mile trip! They have a lot of plants - I would guess you pay about half normal price. It is potluck what they have there and often the plants are potbound. For me, it has been worthwhile driving about 30 miles each way, especially when I was first establishing a garden.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

well... I need to be grateful for the great deals I get around here!!

My husband rides dirt bikes and there is a place out that way where he goes.. but then we couldn't load up the truck with his dirt bike and my sons if it was loaded down with plants!!

;)
Susan

Thomson, GA

LOL, I think the only way it would be worthwhile to drive that far would be to make a day of it with some gardening buddies and a BIG vehicle to tote it all back home in. Thank goodness it's only about 18 miles from me. They had some last minute "specials" last June; common daylilies (Happy Returns and Little Business) and azaleas that had lost their labels so the variety was unknown, for .99 each. I think they are usually root/pot bound and ready to be planted, but all my plants were very healthy, and only a couple of the .99 azaleas did not make it through the winter. Of course, the ones I bought at the garden center for full price didn't make it either, so it must be operator error. My gardenias, tea olive, hydrangeas and crape myrtle I got are doing very well. I just love a bargain, especially when it blooms!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Good for you!!! :)

I LOVE my tea olives.. I'm going to learn to make more myself!! :)

Susan

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

The sale is now on ... and I only went out of curiosity because I didn't need anything but of course I spent a whole lot! I'm bad when I see plants - just can't resist them. Bought (among other more expensive things) four different types of echinacea. Anyone else go?

Thomson, GA

I had hoped to go in the morning but work is getting in the way, so it's looking like Saturday morning for me now. Tell us what they had, Artgal, so I can salivate before I go!

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

You know how it is, Guardians, lots of everything but you can't go looking for specific things. .. and there may be different stock out on Saturday. Thought there was a good selection of trees and bushes and I answered the question of where some of my daylilies originated. (saw 3 different kinds). As for me, I went to McCorkles and I bought ... a Shaina Maple (fabulous red tips), a tree shaped holly, a Deodar Cedar, an August Moon hosta (yellow), a Volcano Purple and White phlox, an Autumn Rose Encore azalea, three Silver Anniversary Abelias (varigated) and four different kinds of Echinaceas. Let me know what you get!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.