Mrs. Betty Ranicar Helleborus Green?

Auburn, IN(Zone 5b)

This is the 3rd year for a Mrs. Betty Ranicar hellebores in my shade garden. When I first tucked her in she was a tiny mail order pup, for whom I parted with a significant number of clams. She was slow to take hold and thrive, but now is a fine specimen. She bloomed late this year (I expected late winter bloom) in my Northern Indiana garden and is still holding fresh blooms today. The foliage is strong and handsome. The blooms are fully double, but green - not white. She's gorgeous in her own right, but not what I had expected as I was hoping for that fantastic contrast twixt foliage and flower. Don't know whether to be disappointed or delighted. Is it worth another financially sacrificial attempt with yet another pup? Is it common for Mrs. Betty Ranicar to display color matching flower and leaf? What helleborus should I try that displays fantastic blooms?

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Hi Sideways, did you know there are some beautiful threads exclusively dedicated to Hellebores. I am sure you will get a lot of information and inspiration there.
Here is a link to the latest one;

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/691619/

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

There are many many different hellebores to suits all tastes and situations. They are all wonderful. My Mrs Betty Ranicar has always been white - a green double sounds intriguing!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I did read recently that the blooms on Mrs. Betty emerge green and then turn white. It will be interesting to see what they do as they age.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Yes keep us posted please.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I do not have luck with the hellebores. I just dont know what im doing wrong. Ronna

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Overwatering them is the most likely way to kill them. They need partial shade and that's about it.

Auburn, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the responses. Yes, the blooms have remained green. They are pretty, but can only be appreciated close up, as they blend in with the foliage. I guess I'll count myself lucky to have such an odd specimen. If they are still there when I get home this week, I'll try to get a pic to post.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.