Red Winged Blackbirds

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I have been feeding these guys for some time now, and a couple of them are accepting me as one of them. One stays on the feeder at times when I add more seeds. I think another week or so he will be eating from my hand.
Also, a female joined him this morning. No pix yet.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I now get a friendly greeting as I get near the feeder.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Welcome, as long as you bring seeds. If the seeds run out, I am screamed at until the dish is full.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

He makes sweet talk with his mouth full. Soft little murmurs.

Thumbnail by trois
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh trois that is such a beautiful series of photos!! And I'm so envious of your developing relationship! I will be glued to this thread for updates!! :-)

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yes, trois they are all great! :D

Lawrenceville, GA

When my family went on a cruise over Christmas, there were red winged blackbirds in a marsh area on one of our excursions in Freeport Bahamas. I was feeding them bread and I'd put a piece on the wooden bridge rail and they'd come swooping in after it. After a bit, I just put some in my palm and lay my hand on the bridge rail. They'd come right to my hand and get the bread. So cool! People on the excursion with us were amazed that they'd do that. A little girl on the excursion with her parents asked me to help her do it and soon, they were eating out of her hand, too. She had so much fun feeding them. It was at a beach site so obviously they were accustomed to people doing that.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

lilyfantn, Grandmaggie, and heyitsmejudy, thank you very much. None of these started except as very wild birds. A few sat in nearby trees and finally realized I was providing free food. Most left the area as soon as I opened the door.
Until this last winter, we had never seen a male Redwing, only females.
I hope to get pictures hand feeding soon. I will keep you posted.

trois

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Fabulous!!! (I especially like the part about "soft little murmurs" - lol - "Murmur" is my grandma name, given to me by my first grandchild who is now almost 20 years old).

Yes, keep providing us with pics!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I thought of you when I wrote your name and decided you wouldn't mind. lol

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Not a bit, Trois - it's great to be famous (or infamous, whichever the case may be!).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.