growing moss in south georgia

Saint Simons Island, GA

does anybody have experience with growing moss in southern georgia in areas where grass won't grow due to a lack of sun? if so, i would love to hear about it, thank you, dooley worth, saint simons island

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, I'm in middle Georgia (south of Atlanta), but am working on moss lined paths in our woodland garden now. I am using the techniques recommended by others here at DG, and by Theresa Schrum, via Walter Reeves' e-mail column. http://www.ecoterralandscape.com/cgi-bin/ViewTopic.pl?Topic=00-topicmoss. We've been trying both the blender technique using buttermilk, and the transplanting technique. Fortunately (?) our front lawn and an area near our creek provide quite a bit of moss to work with. Unfortunately, we are only about 10% done with the area we want to cover. We're running out of moss areas to transplant, so I'm hoping the buttermilk "slurry" will work as well. (By the way, if anybody coming to the Roundup would like to bring sheet moss, I'll be happy to take it off their hands!) Both techniques are quite laborious, but maybe I'm just a wuss. I used a 5 gallon container with moss, buttermilk, water and clay to make my slurry, mixed with an hand-drill auger bit I use for planting bulbs. Five gallons was heavy! I'd recommend mixing up about half that. Would love to yak with you more about this, but maybe somebody else has more experience? Sheila

Saint Simons Island, GA

soupcon: now that sounds like work. i have heard about the buttermilk technique. it occurs to me the area where i am thinking of putting moss is a path to another part of the garden and i believe moss (at least that growing on my brick area outside the kitchen) is slippery which might not be good in that area. or does it depend on the type of moss you use? i too like walter reeves, thanks for your help, dooley worth

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, as my hubby says, he's been walking on the moss we're moving for a long time and no problems with slipping (he works near there a lot cutting small trees, ivy, etc.). The part we transplanted last week even endured a really drenching rain and I didn't find it slippery. Now if you've got kids running on it, it might be a different story, but in Theresa Schrum's article I think she mentioned that this isn't a good option if the area is high use. We have lots of different kids, just as she mentions. We worked on it again today. Here's a shot of our hard work. Sheila

Thumbnail by soupcon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.