Looking for Perrinails for rock wall..

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi,

We are looking for ideas on Perennials to plant along the top of our retaining wall. Would love something that drapes down over the sides of it. The part of the yard the walls are in is mostly shaded so it has been challenging to find something that would work there.

Thanks
Mel

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I always vote for creeping jenny. It is short so you'd want something else to be tall and flowerful - but I think that the creeping jenny would trail quite nicely.

Haines Falls, NY(Zone 4b)

I like bugleweed- Ajuga. The varigated form is nice- a bit of pink in it. It doesn't mind dry shade. It won't trail over the wall, but it's a good looking, tuff-as-nails plant. It blooms w/ the Daffodils.

Concord, NH

Is your wall mortared or just dry laid? In a dry laid granite wall in acid soil I've grown Chrysanthemum 'White Bomb', several different Campanulas, (cochlearifolia blue & white, portenschlagiana 'Resholt Variety', poscharskyana), and Tunica Saxifraga 'plena rosea'. All but the Tunica spread from their original soil pockets and emerged from various other openings in the wall. They will all grow in sun to half shade, so if you have sunnier sections, they might work in the wall.

Drapers from the top that like shade - vinca vine has little blue flowers and comes in variagated and dark green varieties. Geraniums like 'Rozanne' or 'Jolly Bee' have lax trailing stems, and I've grown 'Rozanne' in considerable shade (most of the day) where she still bloomed all summer (until this winter the cursed voles ate out her roots, so she needs replacing!) A spreading evergreen (growth habit similar to ground-cover junipers) that likes shade is Microbiota decussata. I'm not sure how well it will spill over and down, but it will grow to cover the contour of a hillside, and would certainly soften the top of the wall. Some of the clematis varieties are scramblers rather than climbers and will grow and flower in significant shade as long as they get some sun. Ask on the clematis forum for specific varieties that grow in shade.

Fort Edward, NY(Zone 5a)

I believe Jackmanii, Sweet Autumn and Nelly Moser are all Clematis's that do well in heavy shade...And they are all lovely.
~Dawn

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Silver Moon is supposed to be one of the most shade tolerant. Many others need at least part shade.

Fort Edward, NY(Zone 5a)

Oh-how about bleeding hearts...Although they dont "trail", the branches do get long and pretty droopy. They come in a number of different colors too-pink, white, red, and it is very easy to grow, and has really nice foliage as well...There is even a yellow (Dicentra scandens)-although that seems to be tender and it may not come back for you......And it is very easy to grow, and has really nice foliage as well...
~Dawn

They're great now but by July they are turning yellow and have to be cut. Melly, you don't say how high the wall is. I love Creeping Jenny but if it's a high wall, you won't get much 'drape'. Another possibility is letting Climbing Hydrangea trail over the rocks. Takes a few years to get blooms though.

Fort Edward, NY(Zone 5a)

Good point about them having to be cut in July, but while they are blooming they do give you quite a show.

Helleborus might be a nice choice even though they dont trail, because it adds a splash of color when pretty much nothing else is blooming, and it could be planted with some of the climbers others are mentioning. Columbine is also a beautiful choice for shady areas, astilbes as well, although neither of these trail either. Whatever your choices, have fun with it!

Deering, NH(Zone 4b)

Creeping phlox will drape nicely over the wall. It even mixes well with NHBabs' suggestion of vinca. I had this combo in shade and it did well for 4 years. It is now in sun (the trees were taken down, and is still doing well.

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

cfarres,

I was wondering how well the creeping phlox would do in the shade. I was told that it needs at least 4 hours of sun in order to bloom well.

Thanks for the ideas you guys!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

There is a groundcover phlox for shade:subulatta I think.

Okay for part shade - not really for full shade. It probably would not bloom nearly as well. Only one 't' I believe.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Mine is under maple & oak trees. I don't drink t.

That sounds heavy - how does it bloom?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Well first there's a bud, then it opens...

Its a lighter, more sporadic bloomer, but I have no basis for comparison. I like it as is well enough.

Having no basis for comparison never worked as a response for me - especially when I was asked how married life was.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I could see where that wouldn't go over well. That's why I married twice. Fortunately the much better one second. (otherwise that could be sticky)

Akron, OH(Zone 5b)

try nasturium and force it to hang over the edge . they will get about 30-40 inches and keep bugs away and you can eat the plant along with the beautiful blooms!

Do they do well in shade Mr Dark Knight?? By the way, your name frightens me. Are you some manifestation of evil?? If so, I'm okay with that.

Akron, OH(Zone 5b)

sun to partial shade is good about 25% to 30% of there day should be strong light. I not evil its that my first name means dark knight ,but good luck trying to log into antthing as a new user under that(always taken) how ever MrKnightdark is all mine everywhere....

Thumbnail by MrKnightdark
Alfred, ME(Zone 4a)

Have creeping phlox under the rose bushes that hang over. They do like full sun and a good haircut after blooming which makes them thick and bushy. Very easy to divide and start. kdcon

Thumbnail by kdcon
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

kd, that is sooo pretty. subulata is the only creeping phlox, I think.

Dave & Victor, do I have to pull this thread over and separate you two?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

There are a lot of flox including a few creepers. I was wrong though. I have phlox stolinifera, a creeping shade phlox. http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/PHBRS.html
There is also woodland phlox for shade.

I have subulata.

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Dave! Looks like exactly what I am looking for.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Your welcome!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.