Bleeding Heart Question..

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Serious newbie to gardening so bare with me lol.. I planted 3 small Bleeding Hearts a couple of weeks ago in my shaded raised garden. Realized today after looking at a house down the road that these get bigger than I realized. I planted them too close together. Is it too late to move them? I thought I read somewhere here that they dont like to be moved.

Thanks for the help
Melissa

Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

Transplant when plants go dormant or when they are just coming out of dormancy.Bleeding Hearts are tough.I moved mine several times and divided them.Every year they are larger then the year before.They do not like the heat of summer and may disappear.Have no fear,they will return in the spring.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi -- I don't usually post in this forum, but I just stumbled on this thread and thought I'd add my two cents. I'd say if you just planted them a few weeks ago, it'll be fine to move them now if you want to, since they won't have settled in yet. On the other hand, they won't reach mature size this season, so if you like the filled in look for now, you could leave them and move them in the fall. Mine don't go dormant during the summer, but if yours do, be sure to put a marker where the plant was. Good luck and enjoy your bleeding hearts.

This message was edited Jun 2, 2007 10:35 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.