It's raining, it's pouring . . .

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

And I think the little seedlings I planted just a few days ago have been beaten to a pulp. Do you know of anyway to save them in the morning?

(Zone 4a)

Hope for sun? LOL Sorry I guess not the best answer....

Just so you know we have been going through the same thing here with rain the last few days. Tomorrow is calling for sun though - I will try to send it your way :)

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

They may just perk back up. I always try to remind myself that plants survived for eons without us. (On the other hand, you can see why each plant gives off millions of seeds)

Alfred, ME(Zone 4a)

Next time you will save the little umbrellas that come w/ a drink and put them to good use. You can go to a restaurant supplier and buy a case of them pretty cheap, then each seedling would have their own.

:):):) kdcon

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I like the umbrella idea! The neighbours already think I'm whacko because I marked all the places plants should emerge (including every bulb) with a piece of plastic cutlery. Made for a very strange looking garden until I removed them when the plants emerged!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

They survived! Not beaten to a pulp or anything! I can't believe it!

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Seandor, get ready for some more....rain all day Friday into Saturday.
Chuck

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Darn . . We have the honour's ceremony and graduation ceremony on Friday and Saturday . . .

Mind you - if the seedlings withstood the pounding last night, I am sure they will withstand a couple of days of rain.

It's not the volume of water I am concerned with - the garden soil is quite sandy and drains nicely. It is the force of the rain I am primarily concerned with.

This message was edited May 17, 2007 7:35 AM

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

MORDOO LUMTUM RAPTILLIAN......
OK, your all set. That was an old Gypsy spell for NO RAIN IN SPRINGFIELD.
Wait.....or was that the chant for 10 gallons of butterscotch pudding?
Oh well either way, enjoy the day.
Chuck

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Chuck - I LOVE butterscotch pudding (how did you know?) so either way, I'm set!

Seandor - Start with the little umbrella's.
Move up with
tooth picks and string. Then
popcicle sticks and yarn. Then
Dowel sticks and pipe cleaners. Then
grade stakes and cut sheets. Then
pressure treated 4' x 8' and cut sheets. Last but not least
telephone poles. I don't know what to tie them up with.

:-) kidding

I have used dowel sticks and pipe cleaners. You can also use bread ties the wire ones with the paper on them.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

There are hundreds of little seedlings - I don't think there is enough hours in the day to prop each up! I did plant them twice as thickly as recommended because I assumed some won't survive - I just didn't want to see them all destroyed in one rain storm.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.