First Lesson

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Today was my first riding lesson! I was so excited, but nervous too. I was there for 1 1/2 hours, probably only on the horse, Lucky, for about 15 minutes. That's what I expected though for my first lesson.

The trainer, Buzzy, and his wife, Jeanne, are the nicest folks and so down to earth. They are in their 70's, but seem more like they're in their 50's. They explained and showed me all kinds of stuff other than just riding. I learned so much!

The bestest parts were getting to brush down Lucky, and of course riding. Once I realized that he would actually listen to ME and that I wasn't doing everything the wrong way, I stopped being so afraid and it was FUN! (Just remember not to squeeeeeeze him! Squeeze=gas pedal, squeeze=gas pedal. LOL)

Lucky is a Morgan horse, 15.2 hh, and 16 yrs old. He has the best manners you could ever ask for and just totally amazed me with how calm but willing to please he is. Buzzy had him on the lounge line (is that what you call it?) the whole time...but that was for my peace of mind I'm sure. If Buzzy points left the horse goes left, if right then right, if back then back. If he says "whoa" the horse freezes in place.

Thank you everyone for encouraging me to take lessons! This was so much fun today and I can hardly wait to go back next week.

This is just a quick snap I got of Lucky...we were running late and the next "lessonee" was on her way in.

Thumbnail by heathrjoy
This thread has 37 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!