Variegated Lily of the Valley

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Is anyone growing the variegated lily of the valley? Is your stable? I have a very small clump growing for a couple of years now and this year about half of the leaves came up all green. I figure the chances for those reverting back to variegated are nill and i will be digging them out? Is this the nature of the variegated variety?
Shady

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I would have said to remove the unvariegated growth but lazy S farm seems to be saying that the effect of some unvariegated growth is "Interesting". If you continue to get more and more plain growth though I'd remove it since it might be reverting.
http://www.lazyssfarm.com/Plants/Perennials/C_files/Cl-Cy.htm

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

sorry, 'interesting' doesn't cut it. variegated is 'interesting' to me. too bad they are not more stable. It's going to take a while to form a nice variegated patch at this rate.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I think that you are safer removing the reverted foliage anyway. I almost lost a variegated farfugium by not catching the plain foliage soon enough but it's OK now. The variegated part came back quite strong when I removed the reversions. HOpe that it works the same way with your lily of the valley.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.