Help needed with ID for this...

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi,

We have been in our home for about a year now. Started last year gardening and in my rush planted a few things that I have since forgotten what they are.. Believe me lesson learned I am writing them down now lol.. Also there are quite a few plants from the prior owners that I am not sure what they are..

I have quite a few of these ones below that were there when we moved in. I thought that they were daylilies but not so sure now since they have never bloomed.

P.s Can you post more than one pic at a time?

Thanks
Melissa

This message was edited May 16, 2007 10:40 AM

Thumbnail by mellymass
Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Here is another plant that just came up.. Have no clue what it is but I am pretty sure it is one that was planted from seed.

Thumbnail by mellymass
Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Last one I have 2 of these. For some reason one is standing straight up and the other is pretty much laying on the ground as you can see below.. Is there anything I can do to save these? Sigh.. Me and my black thumb!!

Thanks for the help
Mel

Thumbnail by mellymass
Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Hay neighbor!
I have just started a garden this year so I don't know alot about many of the plants but the first one almost looks like my Stella-De-Oro. It has the same narrow leaves. Do you remember what color the flowers were last year? Glad to see that we're getting some good weather finally in Marlboro.
Chuck

Alfred, ME(Zone 4a)

The 2nd pic appears to be a Petunia.

The 3rd pic is a type of Euonymus http://www.naturehills.com/new/product/shrubs_productdetails.aspx?proname=Burning+Bush+-+Emerald+Gaiety

Hope this helps, kdcon

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi!!

Dogwalker,

Saw several post from you really good information you have put out! :) Actually none of these plants have bloomed yet. I have been in my place since Apr of last year and the first one looked just like it does above and never bloomed. Not sure what is going on but it is in a really shaded area of my yard. Would it help to maybe move them to a sunnier spot?

Thanks for the link Kdcon!

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Found one more..

Thumbnail by mellymass
Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Mellymass, if your looking for someplace local for day lilies I just went to a place in Berlin called "Golden Skap Farm". Its run by a man and his wife (Elaine & Carl). They have lilies, hostra, herbs and other types of plants. There really nice folks, been in business since 2000. The thing I like is that all the lilies are climatized (sp) and grow well in our conditions.
There web is www.goldenskepfarm.com
Its a nice ride out on rt 62 and they are open from Wednesday thru Sunday 10 to 5.
Check them out, you might like them.
Chuck

Email: dogwalker@att.net

This message was edited May 16, 2007 10:24 AM

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Chuck I will have to go check them out! :)

Have checked out Home Depot in Marlboro a few times and they have some pretty sad looking plants there. Would much rather go to a business like this one.

Melissa

This message was edited May 16, 2007 10:39 AM

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

MellyMass - I'm thinking that your last pic will be lillies - not the day kind - the others -oriental or trumpet or something like that. (Disclaimer: The only thing I am sure of in the garden is "the green things - they're leaves".)

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I agree with yank......looks like oriental or asiatic lilies. The first picture does indeed look like daylily foliage.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I agrree on #1 (daylilly, stella d'oro is a type of dl) But I can't see lilies in the last one. Don't know what it is but it looks like a perennial that spreads by rhizomes like black eyed susan or coneflower. Let us know!

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Well here is a pic of the 4th plant above a few weeks later. I posted it on the plant ID forum this morning but no luck yet. Worried about it since it appears to be wilting and I have no clue what I am doing wrong. I took pics to Russells in Wayland where I remembered buying it last year hoping that they could tell me what it was but they had no clue. Asked me to bring a piece of it in.. Sigh. Hate seeing plants struggling.. It's amazing how attached you can get to plants you grow. DH thinks I am crazy! Not sure if I am cut out for gardening lol..

This message was edited Jun 12, 2007 12:42 PM

Thumbnail by mellymass
Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Its hard to tell from the picture but it does look a little like the Vinca that I have on my slope. Did it have any flowers? Mine has purple flowers in May.
Chuck

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Chuck,

Pretty sure it isn't Vinca and it has no sign of blooms yet. If I remember right from last year (and my memory is not the best) it was well over 12 inches tall when I planted it last year.

P.S Did you ever post a pic of your slope? My whole front yard is sloped on both sides and I have been trying to decide what to do with it. I have been so busy filling in the sides that I haven't had time to tackle it.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2007 2:11 PM

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

No I haven't. We put in a small circular bed in the back yard this weekend. An early Father's Day from DW. Went down to Russells and got a bunch of annuals. Looks good. The slope is starting to get some green on it, not muck yet. I won't see many flowers this year but I will take some pictures as soon as things get over 12" so you can see them.
Chuck

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Melly, The second pic looks like a rhodie to me.

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Went back to the garden center today with a piece of the plant and found that I have a type of Loosestrife. After looking at the files here it kinda looks like a Gooseneck Loosestrife. I also found that the reason mine is all bent up and leaning over is beause the people that we had doing our grass got herbicide on it.. That is another story that I am upset about but I am now left to hoping that some of it that is just coming up will make it.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Get rid of the Loosestrife. It's an awful invasive. It will burden you for years.

This message was edited Jun 14, 2007 8:17 PM

This message was edited Jun 14, 2007 9:54 PM

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Go easy on her Victor. Let her know how awful the stuff is gently...

Mellymass, the loosestrife will haunt you forever!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Just trying to save someone from the nightmare.

This message was edited Jun 14, 2007 8:17 PM

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for letting me know I had no clue!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Or replant it in a cement container WITHOUT a drainage hole.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

LOL Pirl,

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

The credit for my post goes directly to Pamela Harper, the author of Color Echoes. It's what she said about Houttuynia and I agree with it.

Cambridge, VT(Zone 4a)

The last pic that others have said looked like Oriental Lilies might be Turtlehead, although don't ask me for the scientific name for it. I've got two in front of the house, and when it first starts coming up, it looks exactly like that. Mine are three years old, grow to about 2-3 feet tall, and in the fall will have strange looking little white "turtle head" shaped blooms. Keep in mind that this information could be completely wrong, lol.

As far as Loosestrife - what color is it? I have the yellow Garden Loostrife, and providing I cultivate it every spring, and pull off the few, if any, shoots that appear to be "straying", it has stayed in the same spot happily for four years. Purple Loostrife is outlawed up here. Completely illegal to plant it anywhere, apparently.

I have something growing in my backyard that looks suspiciously like your first picture. I have no clue what it is but it blooms biennially, with small purple flowers. Leaves are exactly the same shape, day-lily-like, so when you find out what it is, please let me know! And if I get into the yard this afternoon, I'll try and take a picture of it. Susan

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Mel, what do the plants look like now? Have any of them bloomed? It would be easier to get an ID with a bloom.

To me #2 looks like an azalea and # 3 like an impatient.

I'd say daylily is a good bet for #1, possibly a Stella d'Oro..

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I thought so too about #3, but impatiens are annuals up here, she would've had to plant it herself and then forget. #2 doesn't look woody enough to me to be an azalea.

Harper

Mel, can you take some close-up pictures?

Donna

Concord, NH

I agree that the first photo is of a daylily. It's not uncommon for perennials to not bloom for the first year or two, depending on their original size, growing conditions, etc., so you may see flowers this year or next to help you ID which variety of daylily.

Can you take another picture of plant 2 and what it looks like now?

Plant 3 might be a euonymus, as kdcon suggested, if the stems are woody. If they are herbaceous, it might be a variegated sedum; 'Frosty Morn' is one example. Sedums have rather thick succulent leaves. Euonymus has tough leathery leaves.

I am of the opinion that in this case you can thank your lawn guys for herbiciding your gooseneck loosestrife! (However, you might also want to rethink whether you want this lawn service doing anything other than mowing the lawn!) I also bought gooseneck loosestrife unknowingly, and it traveled several feet in three years, swallowing up everything in its path. I've worked on getting rid of it by hand pulling and digging (in the hopes of saving other plants in the same garden) for two years now, and though I haven't noticed any so far this year, I haven't thoroughly cleaned out that end of the garden yet.

For what it's worth, there are several plants with the common name of loosestrife, but which aren't necessarily closely related botanically. Some are native, some not, and some are invasive and some not. Purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria) is a non-native wetland invasive that is illegal to sell in many states. It is in a different family than gooseneck loosestrife (Lysimachia clethroides), which spreads rapidly, and garden or yellow loosestrife (Lysimachia vulgaris), which spreads slowly. I've learned to find out botanical names (AKA Latin or scientific names) and look them up before buying, either by taking a reliable book on nursery jaunts that gives plants' problems along with benefits, or by making a list at the nursery (but not buying yet) and then getting on line at home and checking in some of the specialty forums with a search or looking them up with Google or something like the U Conn plant database or the plantfiles on DG. It's saved me much time digging things out!

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the comments guys, I have been out of town and just seeing these. As for the plants above none of them have bloomed yet. I will go out and get close pics today.

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

Woohoo! Just went out and got a good look at my gardens and it appears that one of the daylilies above pic #1 that I moved to a sunnier spot will be blooming soon! I am so excited! Regardless of what it is I am so happy that they doing better.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

That's great Mel! Looking forward to the pics, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.