Eggs on my Rose?

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I see this on my roses from time to time. I found these on a stem I pruned this weekend. I thought I saw a tiny fly at the top of the string of white stuff but when I got my camera it was gone.

Any idea what this is?

Thumbnail by azrobin
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Looks like either wooly aphids or cottony cushion scale. If you take the hose to them and that gets rid of them really easily then they're probably the aphids, if the hose doesn't get rid of them easily then they may be scale instead. I know aphids love roses, but on the other hand when I see aphids they're usually hanging out on leaves or buds, but scale usually hangs out on the stems.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

With all due respect, Ecrane I don't think it's either of those. At least on the insect I found at the top oft he line that appeared bladk. Maybe he was just there. I'll pay more attention the next time I see the white stuff.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's a bit hard to tell from the picture, I just know there are white fuzzy looking types of aphids and scale and this stuff doesn't look like eggs to me. But it's not zoomed in enough for me to say for sure that it's the aphids or scale. So does the white stuff come and go then rather than staying put once it's there? And when it's there, do you know how long it sticks around?

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

No. As soom as I see the stuff scrape or cut it off!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Could it be mealybugs? That's the other thing it sort of reminds me of, but I only get them on my houseplants, never saw them outdoors but I'm sure they can live there too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.