Paint: Flat or Semi?

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

What finish do you prefer on your paints: flat or semi-gloss? Someone mentioned to me there is a "satin" finish but I'm not familiar with that. I grew up with semi-gloss in every room and did my last house in that.

But my new house has ALL flat and gosh you rub against it with anything and there's another permanent mark. I've heard it's the easiest to touch up---no difference in paint color over time. I've only used semi gloss and I can wipe it and I touch it up and still can't tell. But this new house also has a texture I don't care for and when I did my first room here in semi gloss the light reflects on each bump of the texture so you see it unlike in all the other rooms with flat.

All trim is in semi-gloss though of course. Just wondered what the standard was, if there is one.

This thread has 29 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!