Hummingbirds

Drumright, OK

My wife and I purchased a couple of humming bird feeders at Lowes, filled them up with nectar, from our porch....Yeah......hummingbirds in Oklahoma

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I am sure you will enjoy these little flying jewels! They are true acrobats and can do some amazing things while flying around. I have a small pond with a rose arbor and a bench and I set up a feeder under the arbor. They soon get comfortable feeding with me sitting only inches away and will occasionally even rest near me on the bench before flitting off again.

I have a feeder near my bench. Do you ever get used to that "buzz" that they make when flying up? I'm always ducking and scare them away.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

lol. If I blink sometimes I scare them. It all depends of the individuality of the birds I guess. :~)

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I saw Anna's hummingbird in Banning, CA last nite! It been while longer time to see hummingbird.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

We put up two hummingbird feeders about 3 to 4 weeks ago. At first, we had lots of the little ones show up. Then all of a sudden, they were gone. DH was wondering where they went. We had some rain and a few cooler days.

But now they seem to be returning. We are beginning to see them at the feeders a little more now.

Same thing is happening to me. I have heard that when they go to mate they disappear for a while,but then return. My hubby saw one yesterday, so hope they are coming back again.

Crystal

Our hummers have been around awhile. My dad finally put a feeder up a couple weeks ago and they have been nonstop. lol

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Well Crystal what do you expect them to do. My gosh mating in public is called exebitionism.

LOL!!

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Shoot Pepper----- I have no idea how the sheriff would jail a bunch of hummingbirds for indecent exposure.

ROTFL!!!

LOL

geez, what a bunch of nutcases we are. lol

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

I have never seen so many hummers as I did when I went to the Skelly Lodge.. man oh man, they had about 30 of them out there it was crazy and so cool.
Here is the link to the site and you can see them..
www.skellylodge.com

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

FYI, don't forget to report your hummingbirds to:

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hummingbird.htm

and

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/birds/okhummin/survey.htm

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I purchased a garden mister (aka hummingbird mister). They actually fly back and forth like kids playing in the sprinkler. Too Cute!

Greentown, IN(Zone 5b)

yes, the hummers love to play in the sprinkler here too.

You can buy a mister from Walmart in the section by seasonal item for kids, pool chemicals etc. It cost me only 4 bucks and it hooks to the end of my hose and has spiral 'wire' with a misting nozzle, it was cheaper than the fancier version but it seems to work just the same.

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.