Armadillo is driving me crazy

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

How do I keep it out of my garden? I think it lives under the neighbors house(no, he won't get rid of it). It comes in at night and digs up everything. I've tried mothballs, flood lights at night, pepper granules sprinkled around. Can't fence in the front, not allowed by covenants and restrictions and I'm worried about an electric fence because the cats do like to walk thru the flowerbed and they sleep at the back of the bed under a big sago palm.
Does anyone know if the electronic pest control devices work?

Dripping Springs, TX(Zone 8b)

Iyou either have to trap them or catch them by hand and haul them off.I have had several of these destructive little animals in my flowerbeds. oh and you have to haul them way offthey will come back if you dont carry them far enough away.they are kinda cute to watch its too bad they can be so destructive.I had one dig a 2 foot deep hole through my amarylis bed so it could tunnel under my house.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's some info that may be helpful
http://www.msu.edu/~nixonjos/armadillo/problems.html
I can't understand why your neighbor wouldn't want to do something about it, who on earth would want an armadillo digging around under their house?

I have already been to that website. I tried the mothballs, didn't work. Last night we set a have a heart trap, no luck(baited with worms in a nylon stocking).
I don't know why the neighbor won't do anything, he's weird.

I think we have the critter under control for now. We put up a small fence, about a foot tall made of green plastic coated wire mesh dug into the ground and reinforced with stakes about every 2 or 3 feet. The fence is only around the border of the garden and can't be seen from the street. No armadillo for 4 nights!
We set a have a hart trap, caught the same o'possum two nights in a row. Poor little guy decided to stay in the trap sleeping all day the second time he got caught.

if you put a small hole in your fence amd put ypur trap on the other side he will be guided into it. They arent real good at problem solving cant seem to figure out how to get into the trap to get the worms. but they can be guided into them also you might put a little hay into the trap to kind of disguise the metal bottom.

Tednugent, we put the trap in an opening in the fence, but caught an o'possum instead of the armadillo. We put dirt and leaves over the metal bottom. So far the fence is working and my boss had to take his trap back, he has a raccoon that is terrorizing the guests at his B&B.

lol I usually catch cats I actually gave up on the trap and just catch them by hand.they are really easy to sneak up on and grab by the base of the tail.they give up fairly quickly and I have yet to have one try to bite or hurt me. so far I havent had any this year. but I expect to get up anyday now and find all my flowerbeds rooted up. maybe I cought them all.

I always make too much noise to sneak up on them, they're gone by the time I get the front door open!

Yeah I guess island dillos are probably a little more wary than the ones we have here. wonder how they get there?do they swim the lagoon?

I read that to swim very far armadillos take on a large amount of air and "float" across, then they take hours(8-15) to get rid of the extra air. They can't do anything while expelling the air. I guess mine had been here a while because he didn't have any trouble eating!

Savannah, TN(Zone 7a)

armadillo catching technique...walk straight up on them very quietly...they are practically blind straight ahead. then tip it over with your boot(cowboy boots work best for this)....then you've got plenty of time to grab a 'tater sack or whatever to put him in...haul him way off somewhere and release him...:)

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

You probably know this, but be careful because armadillo's can carry leprosy, though it's hard to catch.

The armadillo fence is working. He is now digging up my neighbor's yard!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.