Anyone else have this?

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Every year I kick myself in the backside when it comes time to harden off my plants. The only ones I seem to have trouble with are the tomatoes!! I've been setting them on the back deck when the sun moves around so they can sit in the shade but a few of days ago the weatherman said it was going to be cloudy all day so I set them out earlier than normal. Never listen to the weathermen! Well, most just have slight sun scald but this little guy is in desperate need of tlc.

Thumbnail by saanansandy
Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

These are fairing much better

Thumbnail by saanansandy
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Sandy, Yes I have! The journey from a seed to a plant in my garden is a perilous one!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

One of the reasons I am not too big on starting from seeds - except ones that I've been successful with in the past.

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

Don't feel too bad. I set out 72 mole and ixtapa pepper plants a few days ago and forgot to take them in. Well...we had a frost Saturday into Sunday and only 3 of them are still viable. 69 plants that were raised to near perfection are now glorified compost.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

WORSE - Left covered with plastic bag. Right covered with a sheet.

Thumbnail by

Murderer!!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

They need to expand the warnings on plastic bags to include plants along with the warning for small children.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

My father always says that tomatoes should not be planted until Memorial Day... they like the heat. But there is good news - they have found that seed grown tomato plants will catch up to nursery plants by the time they set fruits. Good thing for us - the cold nights has stalled my tomatoes. The seedlings are still only an inch tall!
Julie

Yes, I've noticed that even though I normally plant tomatoes (transplants) in mid-May, they don't do much until June. They thrive in heat, like Coleus, Caladium, Peppers, Squash, etc.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

My condolences to all who have lost their beloved plants. A moment of silence.....
I bring my plants in overnight so they think it's a summer night! my cat just strolled across my keyboard so now I'm holding her in one arm and typing with the other. so ignore any mistakes.
i started some melons and cucumbers but i put those outside during the day as soon as they sprout and take them in at night. so i won't have to harden them off.

Same with the cat???

Mohawk, NY

I just bought a house in central,actually only around the corner from were i grew up,and have lived for the last 9 years,i have 5 full grown Birch trees on the property3 are dead,no leaves anyways,the rest seem to be fine,except they seem to shed some bark?like snake skin,i have no clue how to care for or prune birch trees,i dont want to lose them,they are so pretty,any suggestions.

Post this on the Trees & Shrubs forum. You'll get an answer there.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We raise tomatoes from seed, harden them off for two weeks (in and out of the garage) and plant them around May 27th. They love warm soil! As JRush said, the seedlings do catch up to the store bought plants and we have noticed that the July 4th weekend is when you can see huge amounts of growth on them.

I will have more that look like that if I don't use SHEETS.

Oh crud. Anyone else in this situation?

Sorry all caps - I copied and pasted it.

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 8 AM EDT TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY ME HAS ISSUED A FROST ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 8 AM EDT TUESDAY.

HIGH PRESSURE BUILDING SOUTHEAST FROM CENTRAL CANADA WILL BRING DRIER AND COOLER AIR INTO NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND TODAY. AS WINDS DROP OFF THIS EVENING...AND SKIES BECOME CLEAR... TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO DROP QUICKLY. LOWS IN THE 30S WILL BE COMMON BY TUESDAY MORNING. THIS WILL LEAD TO WIDESPREAD FROST DEVELOPMENT LATE TONIGHT.

A FROST ADVISORY MEANS THAT FROST IS POSSIBLE. SENSITIVE OUTDOOR PLANTS MAY BE KILLED IF LEFT UNCOVERED.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I can only hope that Autumn too will be late arriving, or we shall have a very short growing season!
My parents bought some tomato plants from a nursery today, & they are huge. But I will continue to nurse my own seedlings along - they will produce tomatoes in time :)
Julie

Bought and planted my tomatoes today! Will be trying some in my Topsy-Turvy baskets as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.