Hummingbirds "hum" because they don't know the words.

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

OK, that was bad!
Now to the question. I bought a humming bird feeder. I live in a semi-urban area. lots of homes but not that far from downtown. I can put the feeder in a weeping cherry tree that contains all of my other feeders. Or I could place it in a open area in a small back yard. Where would I attract the most if any hummers? Are they around already or is it too early?
Chuck

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/bbb/all/

The above is the forum for hummingbirds and butterflies. Maybe they've had the same question and you could do a search for it.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

LOL, you got my attention, Chuck. I'm not an expert, but I would put it somewhere else. Do you have any plants that might attract hummers? (anything with a tubular shaped flower). If so, I would hang it nearby. I got a feeder for the first time last year and hung it on a pole with a hanging basket of fuschia. I got visitors almost immediately.

I have my feeders up. I don't think it's too early. here's a link to this years hummer migration map with dates when they were first spotted. you can check your area.

http://hummingbirds.net/map.html

Good luck! jan

Thumbnail by grampapa
Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

I saw a Hummer fly through my yard two days ago. Didn't have the feeder up yet! Set it out yesterday hoping to have another fly-by!

Alfred, ME(Zone 4a)

Hummers are here in s. Maine. I would not hang the feeder next to or near the reg bird feeders. I did 1 yr. and a little male took control of everything. He would constantly harass any bird that came near the feeders as they are very territorial . As GRAM suggested near a hanging basket works well. Also in front of a window so you can watch them up close. I don't use the dye ( you don't need it ) and mix 1 part sugar to 3 parts water that has boiled when they first show up. After the first batch I mix it 1 to 4.

Have fun, kdcon

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Hummers are here in Iowa and hitting the wild columbine.

Wilkes Barre, PA(Zone 6a)

hummers have been here for about 2 weeks now! Woohoo! (that reminds me, I have to refill the one in the front!)

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

My hummers are here already. I put it near the flowers that attract them like the other gram said.

Marlborough, MA(Zone 5b)

Let see.......
NO LILY'S....
NO DAY LILY'S....
NO FLOWERS....
NO HUMMING BIRDS....

A lot of rain and cold weather.....

Wow am I excited.

Just got a photo of another one at my feeder. I have photos at daily pics also of hummers. This is the first year that they have been at my feeder a lot. This is my third year putting a feeder out. Last year I had a few and the first year I don't think I had hummers!

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb
Alfred, ME(Zone 4a)

Also have a bunch of Orchard Orioles that come in all day and drink a lot. Have a 8 ft picture window lined w/ baskets of Impatiens ( they are inside ) waiting to be hung out and the hummers buzz the window all day trying to get in. One male had a real fit today and flew back and forth, up and down very upset he could not get at the flowers. One more week and they are all his. Here is a link re the red food coloring/dye. I have not used it in 28 yrs. and have no lack of Hummers.
kdcon

http://tzunun.home.mindspring.com/reddye.htm

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I was at a nursery yesterday looking at hanging pots and there was a hummer visiting the petunias. So of course I bought some! and a pot of fuschia. I think that's what attracted them last year. I told the nursery lady the hummer picked out the flowers for me LOL

Karen, I agree..definitely no need for the red coloring and it could be bad for the birds.

Chuck, don't get discouraged. the weather has been crummy all over the NE. I haven't seen any at my feeders yet, but I am putting up the flower baskets today, too. hopefully, the combination will be enough to attract them. my nextdoor neighbor also has a feeder and I see one at a another neighbor now, so we may see more around. I'm hoping someday to get them to nest here.

here's a pic from last year taken thru the window

Thumbnail by grampapa

kdcon - thanks for the info on the red dye. I actually had some left over from last year when I looked in my cubboard. I must have used it last year but forgot all about it - it's not surprising when you're over the hill and rolling down the other side faster and faster.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.