Save soil from rock hole?

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

I haven't gone down to look at the soil yet but DH called it peat soil. How do I decide if it is any good for saving and how do I do it? Our soil is generally pretty heavy to clay and this is from a swampy area. So wet to moist most of the summer. Digital camera is on the fritz so I can't take any pictures.

Thanks for any ideas!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

ves522, we have been doing a lot of landscaping work and therefore continue to have the dilemma of what to do with the dirt from all the holes we dig. I finally just shoveled it all into one mound in a corner of the yard, added some compost, covered with straw and planted a couple of squash plants. They seem happy and are growing well. I realize this does not speak to your 'swamp' issue.......I can only wish for swampy conditions here in the Valley of the Sun!! Good luck, hope this has helped some.

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi MaryMcP

Thanks for responding! Yesterday I went and looked at the soil and the texture is very peat like. I'm always buying bags of soil,peat and compost to add to my raised beds. I'm thinking this might save me from buying peat moss.

I just don't want to add anymore weed seed. Did that on my last addition from different soil from wherever he got it. I had that area pretty weed free. AHHHHHH to start again

But you did give me an idea. Actually a couple. Now to just remember them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.