Newbie - Broccoli question

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

This is the first year that I have planted broccoli. We just harvested our "crop" (an armadillo or Golden Retriver, not sure which, stole all but one plant when I first put them in) today. Am I done? After I harvest, will this plant produce more florets?

Thanks!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Depends on the cultivar. Most will produce small sideshoots. Those aimed at home gardeners of course produce the most side shoots. Some of the commercial cultivars don't, but your odds of getting ahold of one of them are pretty slim.

Side shoots on Coronado Crown.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Farmer,

I've thought of trying some Coronado Crown and less of the Early Dividend, which we like very much. How big do the main heads on CC get?

Thanks in advance.

Red

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Red, they are about the same size as Early Dividend, which is a pretty fair cultivar. Galleon is my current favorite, just beating out Superdome. Coronado Crown is middle of the pack, with Packman and Southern Comet.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Farmer,

Now you've gone and done it! Now I've got to try Galleon and Superdome! ☺

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Red, my trial cultivars this year are Belstar and Everest. Just beginning to head up. Watch plantfiles for results.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

My trialer is Marathon. I couldn't get Triathlon this year for some reason.

Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

How can I find Galleon or Superdome? I have searched but I can only seem to find 'mixes' with these thrown in along with many others.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Galleon is available from Twilley, Superdome from Shumway. I don't know that they are ever used in mixes, but then I never consider mixes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.