Mulching

(Zone 3b)

I just put down a thick layer of pine bark for mulch around my flowers. Am I going still going to get lots of weeds? I needed to put something down to keep in the moisture in my sunny garden; my husband bought a pickup truck load of mulch and we put it down yesterday. I pray to God that I'm still not going to have to pull weeds night and day. Was it bad to put a thick layer down? Your opinions please!

Kathy

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

How thick did you lay it?

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Mulching is about the best thing you can do to control weeds. If your beds had a lot of weeds before you mulched, some of them will push up through the mulch. If this is the case then it would have been a good idea to weed or maybe use a layer of newspaper to smother the weeds. Mulching will enrich your soil, help retain moisture and when weeds do sprout they are much easier to pull from a layer of mulch than the ground. You did the right thing!

- Brent

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I started with a thick layer of bark (the big chips) and even though they are disappearing... i still really don't get many weeds.

I'll get a few tiny ones in the spring when things are starting to germinate, but as stated... they pull out very easily -- and they are easy to find.

I honestly had MORE weeds than i do here, than i did at my old house with one of the dang weed block fabric things.

(Zone 3b)

I layed it on at least 2"-3". My problem with mulching in the past has been putting down that black fabric stuff. It seems like wherever I put the fabric down, my perennials take longer to come back in the spring and don't do as well, so this time I skipped the fabric. I'm glad to hear that I did the right thing!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

You did the right thing. That weed fabric is a curse to good soil, and a pestilence to whoever has to take it up later.

(Zone 3b)

Zeppy, I'm glad you agree about the fabric. It is a terror when you are trying to dig in a new plant or two.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.