Any help with a bulb I have?

Hyannis (Cape Cod), MA(Zone 6a)

Hi all,
I have 2 "Amourette" bulbs that were purchased via mailorder. Both bulbs were a bit "smushy" and soft on the outside and I received replacement bulbs for them. I put the 2 bad ones out side and one has 2 flower stalks - one has a little bit of a hole or tear outlined in red; the other bulb is sending up 10 deep green leaves. Are these worth keeping or do they have sonething that will affect my other bulbs? Any help is more than welcomed! Thanks much!
John

P.S. I've included a photo and will post 2 others to help. Thanks!

Thumbnail by litmusician

Another pic

Thumbnail by litmusician

and one more

Thumbnail by litmusician
Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

I think your bulbs are fine and aren't suffering from any disease, though there may be some dis-ease in their past. Newly planted bulbs will often drop the outer fleshy tunic as they get started rooting in and growing, and it will sometimes turn mushy and red as yours is showing, rather than shrinking down and drying off.

It's not usually a problem and it will dry up as time passes. I have noticed this happening when my bulbs are started in coolish temps as opposed to solidly warm ones. Just try keep direct contact with water to a minimum--careful with the water-can.

R.

Thank you, Raydio for your input. I appreciate it very much.
John

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.