Who did I find underneath the oak?

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

Tonight while accompanying my neighbor to the iris bed to cut a few flowers by flashlight, we came upon this turtle. Box turtles we've had aplenty but what type is this one? It is about twice as large as our common box turtles.

Thumbnail by baagrant
Rio Rancho, NM

Looks like a water turtle. Does it have webbed feet? Maybe it is a red slider?

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

I didn't get to see the feet. This is a better picture of his/her back.

Thumbnail by baagrant
Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I wish I had a turtle in my yard. It is really cute.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

The shell looks more like land turtle than water turtle to me (water turtle shells are typically rather flat), but have no idea what kind. Big fellow, and gorgeous!

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Pretty sure it's a Yellow-bellied Slider,Trachemys scripta scripta. The yellow stripe behind its eye is the big clue, that and I think it's the only slider in S.C., except the Red-eared sliders have been kept as pets and released and are now found all over the eastern US.

http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek040422.html

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

Whatever type it is grant I like it ,
Very cute .

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

Small, small world. Hilton Pond is within 10 miles of my home. I sent my pictures on to Bill to see if it was indeed a slider. Thank you for reminding me. He just slipped my mind. I will let you know what he replies.
The next morning I checked the area, and it appeared that she was trying to scrape a nest. However, she could only get down a few centimeters under that old oak tree in our dry clay. It was rock hard. I hope she found someplace more inviting and had more success. Maybe I'll get to see more turtles like this one in my future.

Rio Rancho, NM

Did Bill confirm your turtle type? Have you seen the little lady again?

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot to come back and confirm her identity. Yes indeed it was a Yellow-bellied Slider,Trachemys scripta. I haven't seen her again. Unfortunately the ground was brick hard where I saw her trying to scrape a hole for her eggs. I hope she found easier ground elsewhere.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.