Looking for mini ferns for my trough gardens

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I am looking for mini ferns for my trough gardens which are in dappled shade. I already have Leptinella (as a substitute) Any ideas or sources? Thank you.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Hi Buttoneer,

Asplenium trichomanes is a small one that crosses my mind, its max. size is about 15 cm.
I send you a picture:

Thumbnail by bonitin
Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

Buttoneer, I have that one it's been that size for 5 years, it's definetely a mini. it's evergreen and is always a nice tidy little mound, Jim

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Are they hardy to zone 6b PA?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Most species of Asplenium fit the size requirements - check through here to see which ones are native in your area:
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=102877

Resin

Hayward, CA

Adiantum pedatum,Blechnum penna- marina.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Asplenium trichomanes in the wild - quite small, amongst the rocks.

Thumbnail by growin
Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful. I will start looking for them. Will probably have to Mail order. Thank you all so much for your help.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

What about Athyrium filix-femina minutissimum mine has stayed small for years but I am also growing it in a spot that is very dry.
Athyrium f.-f. Frizelliae Stays small, and is NOT full bodied so that might look nice in a trough.

Both of these would be hardy for you.

This message was edited May 16, 2007 1:44 PM

Buttoneer, another species is the Pyrrosia, I have some in containers, but I'm not sure of they would make it in 6b, Jim

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I found this little fern that would do well. Adiantum aleuticum.

Thumbnail by growin

growin, is that a mini? I like it a lot, Jim

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Charming little fern!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Yes, the tag said Adiantum aleuticum ssp. subpumilum but I checked it to A. aleuticum. It's a little tiny 5 fingered Adiantum that seemed fine in dry shade. It's about an inch or 2 high.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Buttoneer,
You really need to take a trip up/over here and take a walk with me in the woods. (I would have holes all over the place)
I wanted to ask you too, was that button pin you made, the original button or did you put somekind of glaze on it? It is sooo cute.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Cpartschick, It is an honest-to-goodness total glass button made in Czechoslovakia by pouring in a mold and the eyes painted on. I make button magnets and little pins out of them and people seem to love them. Yes, I would be digging holes in your woods. LOL, with your permission, of course. If there were any way to destroy the poison ivy in our woods, without harming anything else, we would do it. There is dog toothed violet, may apples, Yellow bleeding hearts, polygonum, etc. There are a couple polygonum I want to dig up & transplant to my shade garden.
Growin: That Adiantum aleuticum, I will have to look it up & see where it is available. It sure is a cutie. Thank you for showing it.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Useful info on Adiantum aleuticum here:
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=233500026
Their map suggests it may not be too easy to grow in PA, but worth a try.

Another one to look out for is Asplenium ruta-muraria, pic below. Whole plant about 10cm across.

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

They sure made beautiful buttons back then. It is very special. Thanks again.
We have trails in the woods and the poisen ivy sticks to the woods. I guess the quads keep the trails free from the ivy. Sure makes it for nicer walking. Poisen ivy is really hard to get rid of. I hear that even dead and dried up, it has the oils that can cause problems. I see that there is a company that came out with a wet wipe that removes this oil. So if you get into it, just wipe away. I would rather not try.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.