Japanese Iris

Ripley, MS

I am becoming interested in Japanese Iris and hardly ever see anyone here on Daves showing pictures or starting threads about them.
If any of you grow them would you give me some input as to the pros and cons of Japanese iris?
Thanks
Sandra

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have been wondering about growing iris in general in Mississippi. I know Louisianas grow well there, but what about Tall Bearded, Spuria and yes, Japanese. I would like to hear from you or anyone who knows about iris in the South.

Ripley, MS

I have grown the bearded iris for years and have good years and bad. I didn't have many blooms this year, but I think with the late freeze, we should not judge by this year.
I also think I need to divide mine, they have probably gotten too thick.
I have a few siberian and a couple of LA,
I am in zone 7b, I think.
Sandra

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the info. I have only seen a white TB ( I guess) in and around Lumberton. Sounds like if it would grow, so would others.

My farm where I don't live but visit a lot is in zone 8 according to the National Arbor Day Society. You must be in northern MS. Maybe I will take a few TB starts from my garden here in NM to see how they do in the Gulf South. The LA's do great. I planted one this spring and will bring another to plant this fall.

Ripley, MS

Yes, I am about 80 miles from Memphis TN. in north MS
The white are the first to bloom here. I don't know if that is normal everywhere else.
Sandra

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.