Need help to ID mystery iris

Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

Several of these irises mysteriously appeared in a bed that's normally all historic TB Indian Chief.

I've never seen these before--imagine my surprise.

I suppose they've been there all the time, but just haven't ever bloomed till now. (Credit to Cooley's spring iris fertilizer?)

The iris is a lot shorter than other iris, and has bloomed much earlier than the rest of my iris, which are just starting to set buds -- these bloomed at the same time as some dwarf beardeds.

Any thoughts as to identity?

Thumbnail by constance22
Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

Here's another pic. The beards were bluer when they first appeared, now they're lighter. The picture above makes them look white, but they're aren't. The petaloid styles (I think that's the right term) inside are striped purple and white.

Thumbnail by constance22
Newfoundland, NJ

They look like ELEANOR ROOSEVELT or possibly BLACK MAGIC.
Laetitia

Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

Thanks so much, Laetitia!

While we're on the subject of mysterious iris, how about this one? It's a darker purple than this shot shows.

Thumbnail by constance22
Marshall, TX

Maybe this one is "Mrs Valerie West" Bliss, 1925, TB 40".
From Lamb Nurseries Catalog 1941: "The masterpiece of Bliss, creator of the world famous velvety petaled Dominion race. A gigantic flower of richest crimson and bronze, compelling instant admiration." (Bruno x ... )

Thumbnail by karmafarms
Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

Interesting. I think I'd better look a little harder at my bunch of Indian Chiefs when they come out -- there may well be a Mrs. Valerie West among them. Thanks.

Newfoundland, NJ

MRS VALERIE WEST is extremely rare. Also not a vigorous grower. If it were growing in a bed of INDIAN CHIEF, IC would crowd it out.
Laetitia

Marshall, TX

Got any idea what it is, Sugarbean? Mine is a fairly vigorous grower, too.

Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

Here's another view of that 2nd iris I asked about, seen here fourth from above. It resembles Velvet Dusk.

Thoughts?

(These are last year's pix -- not out yet here).

Thumbnail by constance22
Sedalia, MO

Need an ID on this plant. I found this in a field years ago and have never found a name for it. It is taller than most iris's but it sure is pretty.

This message was edited May 19, 2007 11:44 AM

Thumbnail by allysgram
Newfoundland, NJ

karmafarms:
Its possible that the iris is VELVET DUSK but I don't know for sure. There are alot of dark purple iris out there.
Here is one I grow that I don't know the name of, but an iris expert told me it may be VELVET DUSK.
Laetitia

Thumbnail by Sugarbean1
Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Laetitia. Yours looks a lot like mine, except mine has more blue tipping on the beard. Can't recall if that goes away over time. I'll cross my fingers that mine re-bloom this year (I've moved some), and see what transpires. It would be interesting to compare all the extant dark purple historics, just to see what's what.

Newfoundland, NJ

I think part of the problem is...we don't know what all the extant dark purple historics are. Some seem to be around forever; While some emerge after years of being 'missing in action'. And then there are some that disappear..when you think they are safe, but no one has them anymore. Have you seen the HIPS website for a large collection of historic iris pictures?

Laetitia

Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

Yes. That's where I thought got the idea that it was Velvet Dusk -- it looked a lot like Carlos' Velvet Dusk, right down to the haft marks.

There's quite a problem with getting the colorations right, though -- they change from day to day, and even within a day, and don't always come out true in pictures.

I just had another mystery iris appear today need to get a photo before we have a rainstorm and it gets slammed.

A little white iris, very delicate, olive green-ish around the haft mark area. I've been poring over all the HIPS iris at great length, and I'm sure I just saw this somewhere -- can't remember where.

Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

I'm thinking it must be i. Florentina. I sure hope I didn't just send away for this yesterday . . . .

Newfoundland, NJ

Why don't you post a picture of it?
Laetitia

Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

Here goes.

Thumbnail by constance22
Newfoundland, NJ

Constance:
It looks like i florentina to me.
Laetitia

Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

Thanks so much, Laetitia.

One of the difficulties in ID-ing for a beginner is that it's hard to know where to start, especially if you can't get a decent picture of it to post.

I have a number of iris that came up this year from who knows where, and the ones that don't come out well in pix, and don't last long (we're getting toward the end of iris season here) like a little white/very light blue one that came up recently -- there's really nowhere to look to find it (after looking at all the HIPS pictures of white iris).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.