At last my irises begin

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

My first iris popped today and here it is. It is quite a mystery. When I planted it, it was labeled Blue Suede Shoes which it clearly is not. It bloomed last year, but didn't have as many colors and as many markings as it does this year, but it was first last year, also. If anyone has a clue what it is, I would be happy to know. If they don't, I will just call it Unknown Red-1.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

It is a beauty. Interesting how different the timing is in different locales huh? I have some iris still blooming, but more than half are done.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, we are 2 full zones apart. Quite a difference in blooming times. I thought iris season would never get here!

Lebanon, OR

It might be Oasis Rootbeer...
D

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7a)

I have one that look similar it was just called Rust.
I have to compare after I post the picture, but it looks the same.
Would like to know what it is called.

Thumbnail by katrun
Alexandria, VA(Zone 7a)

What do you think?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It's very lovely! Any chance you can contact the place you bought it, to see if they can ID it? But it's still beautiful as Unknown Red-1. I like those darker colors.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I think it is identical to Rust! I checked the place I bought it and they don't sell anything like it! Must have been from their personal garden. I will also check Oasis Rootbeer, but Rust is very close.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Okay, I checked out both in Plant Files and I think I have eliminated Oasis Root Beer though the flowers were very similar, I noticed two things about Root Beer. It is an IB -- not very tall, and it was introduced in 2003. This iris is close to 40 inches -- I haven't measured but it is very tall in full sun. And I think I have had it at least 4 years. Other than that they are almost identical. I wish Rust was in Plant Files. Maybe you would put it in, katrun? It is probably significant that this is my very first iris of the year. Very early.
I agree. I like it very much, too. I didn't think I liked the dark reds, but I am changing my mind. The markings on this are so interesting and the colors so -- multi.

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7a)

I traded a lot of Irises from a Lady who grows them and I went to go look up one of the names of the Irises and I could not find it on the web site.
I want to double check and make sure its right first. and let me check to see if the tag is somewhere on the plant. And then we can post it. I have a bunch of Irises that are blooming for the first time. I just took some photos of them. I will Post them and share them with you. I have to get their names in order first! LOL
I was not to prone to burgandays either but they do look nice uh!

:)- Kathryn

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Kathryn,

There is no iris registered with the AIS by the name of 'Rust', although there are a few that include rust as part of the name. You should not add your iris to the PlantFiles under that name.

Most likely your iris was given Rust as a garden name based on its color and the fact that the grower didn't know its true registered name.

Laurie

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have now got 3 blooms open on that iris and I can smell a faint fragrance. It is not anything I can identify, though. I really can't say its root beer. It appears to have 2 branches and 4 ( so far at least) buds.

I, too, have a lot of irises that are getting ready to bloom for the first time. I will have more pictures to post maybe as early as tomorrow.

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

I am glad to see you getting blooms..the last of mine..."aphrodisiac" is on it's final blooming, I have had a great bloom season, dodged the winds and hail we usually have in the spring ... I will live vicariously thru you to enjoy the iris another month....keep the pictures coming......

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, the color of Aphrodisiac is superb. I have it, but in a pot and haven't put it in the ground yet. Your photo has encouraged me to get my act together!

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

This is my "Red Zinger" Looks a bit similar.

Larkie

Thumbnail by Larkie
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Red Zinger is very nice. I have heard a lot about it, but this is the first time I have seen a picture of it. I think my unknown red is Playing with Fire.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/36092/index.html

What do you think?

about your red......check out oasis shooting star, it looks similar to me

Playing with fire is certainly one to be proud of

Aphrodisiac has had a long bloom period and still has more to open.....I thought she was the last, but this sweet little no-name jumped up today. A gift from a DG friend last summer. In leiu of a registered name I intend to call her Jane

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Jane is adorable. Always nice to get an extra bloom!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

More unknowns today. I believe this one is Titian's Glory, though it could also be Davy Jones. I have both and didn't clearly mark which was which. Anyhow, I love this one and it has only bloomed once before. When they dug for my drip irrigation system this one was moved so I planted it with more compost than I had used before and separated it from other iris which were too close.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

This one is another mystery red. It came with my house when I bought it. I like it and have kept it. Maybe I should name it Nancy Red. It is quite different in color and shape from the one I posted first.
Not all of mine are unnamed. It's just that the unnamed ones seem to bloom first. Hmmmmm.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

your first iris looks like , Can Can Red ??

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It looks like Can Can Red except for the amount of white on Can Can. There is much less white on mine. The height is right though. The color of mine is more red/brown whereas the description in Plant Files says Can Can Red is fuchsia. Mine is definitely not fuchsia. I think it is closer to Play with Fire or Red Zinger.

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey Guys here are some of mine! Hi JackieS.
I believe I swaped with you last year.

This is "Pele"
First one to bloom this season.

Thumbnail by katrun
Alexandria, VA(Zone 7a)

This one was broken,, Snapped a picture just in time!

Thumbnail by katrun
Alexandria, VA(Zone 7a)

#

Thumbnail by katrun
Alexandria, VA(Zone 7a)

# 3

Thumbnail by katrun
Alexandria, VA(Zone 7a)

Oldie by goodie!

Thumbnail by katrun
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Magnificent iris, katrun! Isn't it wonderful when they all start to bloom. I have 3 going now but many more to come. Lately, it has been cold and rainy so they are waiting for a nice sunny day.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Those are wonderful! Mine seem to be all gone now. The larkspurs and Hollyhocks are taking over now. We have had a real cool down and rain and clouds too. Oh well, I need to get some work done inside for a bit! LOL!

Thumbnail by cactuspatch
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

What a beautiful garden, cactus patch. Even without the iris it is lovely. Our weather has become cooler and rainier as well which is good because May and June are often our forest fire months.

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Beautiful iris katrum

Cactus ,
that is a very serene and lovely garden

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you all! I have a bunch that did not bloom this year. Like 3 different "Black " ones and a bunch of others. This was the first time to see a bunch of them. I ordered and exchanged and planted like 33 different types last year!
So next year It should be a show stopper!!!!
I planted them everywhere, and also made one Bed of all Irises so I could keep an eye on them!
SInce Irises are so easy to move.

Cactus patch: Lovely gardern! My Holly Hocks , and larkspurs are just about to bloom here along with my Fogglove.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

This one opened today. I think it is Smoke Rings, because, though it doesn't show in the photo, the pink is a smoky pink. I bought it at a nursery because it had a tag that said Jester. Much later I found a second tag saying Smoke Rings. I think I got Smoke Rings. It usually blooms very early. If anyone can confirm my ID I would appreciate it.
Another reason to buy iris from a dealer who is known to get the ids right or to buy them in bloom.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt

the pink is lovely and by any name would be the same

Katrun.....I am still available for trades..got my heart set on your bloom #3 if you are doing trades this year, I am only wanting tall beardeds and I have a list of trades (not many iris, as I am a newby) that will include a few of my daylilies..Ya"ll keep me in mind......check out the co-op forum.....someone is trying to get one together for iris

Pictured is sea power my best bloomer this year

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Your Sea Power is stunning. I have one that I planted last year. It has a bud! I can't wait! Still most of my iris are not yet blooming.

You will be happy with that one........Here's the clump pictured this spring, so many blooms and for a long period

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Gosh Jackieshar,
That is even better than I had hoped for.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.