CLOSED: I don't know one bird from another

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

This little guy was outside my kitchen window so I took a picture through the screened in window.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I know this isn't a bird, but I don't know where to post him......he stayed in the same place on the wall of my daughter's patio for 3 days without moving....do you know the habits of a bat??

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Marlton, NJ

Golden- fronted Woodpecker

Nice bat in the second pic.

Nice pics!!! Thanks for posting them.

This message was edited May 12, 2007 4:18 PM

This message was edited May 12, 2007 4:20 PM

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

you are welcome!!!!! I thought that bird kept pecking at the rotted tree!!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks....I just moved out to the farm less than a year ago....have bird feeders out and growing flowers for the hummers and butterflies.....I am keeping track of all the birds that come to my house....it is fun!!!!

Marlton, NJ

I don't know much about bats but heres more info, you can click on the different names.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

you are just a wealth of information today!!!!! thanks

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow - both are very cool!!! And, yes, Pelletory is indeed a wealth of information!!

Sounds like a good life you've got going there, Gessigail - a farm, watching/feeding birds, gardening . . . what more could we want???!!!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I am no expert on bats but I would be very careful of one that hung around exposed in the daylight for 1 day and very leery of one that stayed for 3. This is far from normal behavior and could indicate it is ill or even rabid.

While bats are wonderful creatures that can be invaluable for pest control eating huge amounts of flying insects and especially mosquitoes they can often be rabid. Please be careful!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Murmur, it is a good life.....I never ever intended to come home where i grew up....it just happened this way when my father got sick and i cam home to take care of him.................I never left!!!!

This bat was on the wall of a 20 ft ceiling covered porch....it was daylight but he certainly never was exposed to sun.....my son in law wouldn't let us get a broom to knock him off gently.....he said they were very fragile creatures and could be dangerous, too.....we just let him be....when I left on Tuesday morning after the weekend, he was still in the same place on the brick wall up high.....thanks for the warning!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We had a bat in the building where I work and looked up the animal control office. They gave us the number of a bat rescue group and they came out and caught it. All were safe.
If the wall near an outside light that attracts bugs? Could be it was young and got disorentated.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.