Is this Hippeastrum Ackermanii?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I have an amaryllis rescued from a construction site in Pensacola, FL. It is similar to Hippeastrum x johnsonii but the flowers seem a bit larger and redder. I think it is Hippeastrum 'Ackermanii' (see link to Plant Delights catalog: http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/04925.html) Flowers are about 7" wide, fragrant, and there are 2-4 flowers per scape. What do you think?

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I think that no matter what the name you have a beauty.

I would guess that you are right. One of the problems with amaryllis is that there are hundreds of hybrids. The cross that produces a certain type of flower may be done by more than one person, could be done by several people and all might give it a different name.

Amaryllis have been divided and passed around from gardener to gardener in the south for many generations now. I am one of those kind of people. I never know the name, because like you I have rescued some from construction projects, freeway widening etc.

I just try and keep a photo of each flower. Here is one I have, similar to yours but not the same.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I have gone up to many folks in their yards and asked for a bulb. I have never been turned down. In our long summers one bulb will be 20 in 3 years. Here is a new one (to me its new)>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I grow the commerical hybrids and take the pollen from them and some of the pass along bulbs get the pollen. I make hybrid seeds. I send the seeds to others and grow some myself. You never know what you might see in a couple years.

Modern hybrids>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

A couple of months from now this forum will be very quiet, untill late fall, about Thanksgiving time. I lose interest in them, but, keep them growing strong thru the summer. I know there will be a great show next spring.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

And if you want to get seed from far away try http://mpeixoto.sites.uol.com.br/amaryl/fotoamaryl.html and for some interesting photos.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Dale! Does anyone else have an opinion?

Here's a picture of Plant Delights' Hippeastrum x johnsonii from earlier today. (I did not see their H. 'Ackermanii' blooming but I might have missed it as I did not have time to see everything.)

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Wow Tom - - both yours and those at PDN are gorgeous.

I ordered Hippeastrum x johnsonii from PDN last year, but have yet to see them bloom. My plain old red amaryllis is in full bloom right now, while my Johnsonii are just now breaking ground.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Tom
I just wanted to say THANK YOU for the picture of Hippeastrum x johnsonii. I've been trying for 2 weeks to figure what it is that's growing in my front yard. The bulbs were already here when I moved in, but haven't bloomed before this year. They really are gorgeous. Thanks again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.