Waycross Smoke ???? Over Middle Ga.!!!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

This was My 11:30 AM Sky over Eatonton ! I called the Fire Department and asked if there were any Contolled burns going on here or was there a really bad forest fire close by! They said the winds had carried smoke from Waycross all the way up here!!! Scary!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

This was looking west toward Monticello, by my mailbox! I was holding a washcloth over my nose to breathe! I pity those of you closer to the fires! Prayers are going your way!!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Our folks in Byron said they couldn't see 50 feet in front of them today, the smoke was so bad!

GGG

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i have been smelling the smoke up here in augusta ? north augusta border for days now with the wind. our news says its being carried in all directions. its worse at night though

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

It was terrible here today and Wednesday as well. The burnt wood smell would just take your breathe away. I was determined to finish planting hostas but had to give in to the smoke. Really made for a dreary day of gardening. I feel for the people living in southeast GA. It's got to be unbearable.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

We had Blessed rain yesterday afternoon and light wind from the northwest,so much of the smoke was washed away last night! The skies here are blue again and we can breathe! Thank Heaven! I hope the rains made it to the lower parts of georgia and to Florida. Im blowing real hard in there direction, hoping the rain clouds continue!

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

We drove I20 from Augusta to Atlanta (and back) yesterday and noticed how awful the smoke was, especially around Lake Oconee. We wondered if the rain was pushing the smoke up, but then found out the rain came from the north.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

It's also really bad here in sw Georgia...Especially at night.. Our sinuses and allergies have been terrible.. No rain here, yet.

Larkie

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm sorry for you, Larkie, and everyone else who lives in the area. Hope it clears soon.

Waycross, GA(Zone 8a)

I live in Waycross and can attest to the suffering you all are going through. We have been dealing with "the monster" for over a month now. There were eight days where our students couldn't go to school, because the school busses had no visibility. We have been blessed however, with no fatalities and surprisingly few homes that were damaged. We have been inconvenienced, but not as much as the brave firefighters who have come from all over the United States to help fight this massive fire. They have been tireless and we owe them such a debt of gratitude.

Please pray for rain for our area, as that is the only way this fire will truly be extinguished.

I am sending a link prepared by our Board of Education if you are interested in looking at some of the statistics, and pictures of the fire, the firefighters, and our area.

http://www.ware.k12.ga.us/pr/Fire%20Presentation.ppt

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

it was so hazy here in augusta today due to the smoke. i live where i can look over augusta and it was like a smog cloud had come to stay. the smoke was choking it was so bad today.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Believe it or not, there was even an announcement on the Atlanta news today for people with breathing problems to stay indoors, there was a light haze and definate odor of smoke in the air here. Hard to beleive it is coming this far North. We did get a nice rain here this evening, hope you did too.

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

The local news last night here in Augusta told how the smoke we were smelling had travelled north from the forest fires.

Saint Simons Island, GA

we woke up to smoke that i thought was smog on saint simons island this morning, the winds must be blowing east today. i am wondering is the smoke still bad on I-75 going north through georgia from florida? my sister is planning to drive to ohio along I-75 tomorrow friday. thank you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.