mystery plant

Adelaide, Australia(Zone 10a)

Any idea what this could be?? It came with the house we bought. It's evergreen and stands about 30-35cm high with these pink berries happening now. No flowers to speak of - just pink berry type things.

Thumbnail by khopton

OK, didn't hear from any Aussies but Resin from the UK answered with Symphoricarpos species!!! aka: Snowberry or Coralberry. Amazing it's growing here since it seems to like colder, shadier climates!! It's in full sun and survived the drought without batting an eye!!! I even managed to stump my local nursery!!

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

Agree, I'm Also from Scotland Uk, it is indead the Snowberry they come in types with white, black, pink berry's, over here they are suckering plants and will send sicker roots 1-2 feet from the parent plant, especially if grown in shade, when you hoe around this plant try to avoid hitting the roots as this may cause wounds and suckers could envade the space, could be wrong, but the berries may be poisonous, good luck, WeeNel.

Thanks WeeNel, after doing a bit of research, I agree that it's snowberry but it's behaving very unlike it's description!! It doesn't suck anywhere, is totally drought tolerant (because I know it didn't get any water for a long time before we moved in) and it can take full, beating, afternoon sun and not blink!!! I'll keep it in it's spot if only because it's a novalty and I certainly can't seem to find it in any local garden centres!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.