Sharing my story

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

I just wanted to share my story with this group, hoping that it would be an encouragement to others that are suffering - either a health issue or a weight problem. At 5'3", I had become way overweight and suffered from multiple health issues. I am happy to say that I have lost 58.5 lbs as of this week and I feel like a new woman. As I was approaching 50, I felt like I was heading toward being unable to do any of the things I wanted to and that I was at high risk of dropping dead at an early age.

Regarding the weight loss, I have 20 more pounds to go. Yep, I had gotten to be a big lady! After lots of excuses about aging and menopause, I got tired of being tired, hurting and feeling bad. THEN I found out I really was developing health problems. So on 1/1/06, I decided I would just eat healthy. No real gimics - - just watch portion size and cut out all junk.

I added modest walking after a month or so. But to be honest, my joints/feet hurt so badly and I had muscle cramps- - I had to grit my teeth to get through it in the beginning.

As time went on, I added more walking ( now up to one brisk hour - 5 days a week) and made more modifications to my diet (adding more fiber, veggies and gasp - fish). My loss had been slow and steady - - no quick cure. I eliminated Aspartame (Equal diet sweetner) and quit the Diet Coke habit. After reading an article, I substitued drinking green tea for my sodas. I was totally shocked to find that I didn't even want a diet coke after the first week. Previously, I craved diet cokes like others want coffee or chocolate - - I REALLY wanted them.

I didn't lose anything much over this winter, but once I was able to pick back the walking up again - - it's coming off again.

I went from hypertensive to LOW blood pressure and my blood work is unbelieveably better. Plus, my feet seldom hurt ( I have plantar fascitis and Morton's neuroma). I have suffered from tendinitis and bursitis in all my major joints for years with no relief. The doctors were certain I suffered from a connective tissue disease, but were unable to diagnosis it.

Now, ALL that is gone.

As my health issues began before the weight gain became serious, I am convinced that all of my problems centered around a poor diet and excess amounts of aspartame (through drinking lots and lots of diet cokes). The weight gain certainly made things much worse, but that wasn't the only problem.

When I went to pick up manure this year, I was handling the 50 lbs bags easier than the young guys that were helping me. I still look old (you can't put 10 lbs of flour in a 5 lb sack without "issues") but Dang! I feel good!!

Good luck to any of you that are facing similar challenges, Nat

This thread has 12 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!