Clematis 'Sunset'

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I just bought a 'Sunset' last week at a local nursery. It looks like a very healthy vine and is loaded with buds. Does anyone else grow this one? Any advice?

I read on the internet that once it blooms you have to prune it back a bit to encourage re-bloom that same season. Is that correct?

Thanks!!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Karen, I have a Sunset but it was really tiny when I got it last year. It's a pruning group 2 so in late winter you just lightly prune it, then when it finishing flowering in the spring you can prune 1/3-1/2 off the vine and it'll bloom again.
Lots of people on this forum recommend that you prune group 2's like a group 3 the first couple years to get the root system established and grow more shoots. I first came to this forum last spring and I had about 7 clematis that came to me as really tiny plants and I didn't do this. This year I did and it made all the difference in the world.

Debbie

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks Debbie! I'm going to try that. I have a 'Candida' also but it only bloomed once last year. I didn't realize I was supposed to cut it back in order for it to bloom again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.