How many others have lost their mum?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I have lost all but about 3 sprouts from one Belgium mum. Powell Gardens where I volunteer has lost theirs too. I didn't see any in the greenhouses around here either. I've been told they don't start from seeds so it will be up to someone who has named cultivars to do zillions of cutting for the fall and continuing seasons. Anyone on here who would trade some starts of mums for ????????

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

I have lost most of my mums also, due I'm sure to the weird spring we have had. I have alot of roses that have yet to pull through also.

Deb

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I lost all but one of mine early and I think it is gone now. Weird weather this spring must have done them in.

PeggyP

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I have lost all of mine too. They usually are up and going great guns by now, but this spring's weather was so weird that I guess the late freeze got them.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I can send anybody some medium sized mums originally from Bluestone called 'Medicine Bow'. I'll trade for about anything but I will only send in a bubble envie, but they are hardy-hardy-HARDY things. Pink with a white center as I recall. Remember th4ese are NOT cushion mums -- they are medium tall. About 18" or so. Or maybe I didn't keep them cut back enough. Not sure. Bluestone dropped them from the internet catalog in Feb or March this year, soi I can't send you a link.

Suzy

Ankeny, IA(Zone 5a)

I noticed for the first time today three new sprouts on my mum plant. At first I thought it was because I had not split it, as I've had it for almost 4 years. I hadn't considered the 2 weeks of below freezing temps we had.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Suzie, I have lots of unnamed iris, daffs, & daylilies. Also baby perennial sweet peas & hollyhocks if you are interested in trading for any of these.

leaflady, I didn't know there was such a thing as perennial sweet peas.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Yep no mums here.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

defocat, these aren't fragrant but they are very hardy and true perennials. Get very tall, maybe 10' some summers. They can also be used as a sprawling ground cover. I only have 2 or 3 colors and don't really remember which vine has which color bloom very well. Once they start spreading sees around on the ground you will have them everywhere.

Do they have seeds, and can I beg some this fall?

I was startled by the subject line, today, on Mother's Day. Forgot about Chrysanthumums.

Suzy

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I have learned a little about keeping mums over from winter. First, you do not cut down the foliage in the fall or if you want to cut it down you keep it and turn it upside down over the crown of the plant. Mulch well. Do NOT cut it back in early spring. Let the old flower stalks stand up till ALL danger of frost is over. For us it is around Memorial weekend. If you do this then you will be able to keep your mums for years and years.

Also, there are hardy mums and hot house mums that aren't so hardy. Make sure when you purchase a mum it is a hardy variety.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I never mulch my mums because they get crown rot and die everytime I do. Very poor soil drainage here. I didn't cut off the stems, never do. The botanical garden where I volunteer lost theirs too. And they aren't available in the greenhouses and garden centers around here so something very wide spread has happened to mums this past winter.
The asters on the other hand came thru just fine as did the phlox. Yes, I learned the hard way about hot weather mums versus hardy ones many years ago.

Defocat, I will indeed send you seeds this fall. Please remind me because my forgetter works very well. My memory on the other hand, ---------, well, you know. ~

Thanks leaflady, I will put a note in my journal. Is there anything that you want that you have never found. Make it unusual, and I will try to find it.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

My mums bit the dust. :-( Tamara

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7b)

My belgian mums are trying to take over my whole garden! They must really like it here, because I have been pulling out pieces and cutting them back all spring trying to keep them in their place. A few of the sprouts I pulled out had some bits of root attached, so I just stuck them in the ground elsewhere. I haven't done a thing for them, and they're growing like crazy. I don't know how the whole trading thing works, but I have plenty of mums!!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Do you have pics of these mums, Baby? I don't know what a belgian mum looks like. I would be interested in trading for some if they are hardy in z6.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

All but one of mine are gone for good. Bluestone perennials has theirs on sale until the 31st. At there price, I would not mind thinking of them as annuals.

susan

I just bought Ruby Mound from Bluestone. I should have plenty next year. (Fingers crossed)(

Suzy

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I ordered Brown Eyes, Hopscotch, Autumn Sunset, Honeycomb, and Red Climac from bluestone. I was looking for colors that would look good with my Helenium since that's the perennial that provides the most color at that time of the year.

Susan

Oh, I know logically that those would be good, but it is impossible for me to buy brown(ish) flowers in May-June. I simply cannot do it. Then in Sept-Oct I kick myself for not getting them. Of course, you can root all those pinchings you make, so you should have a bucketfull next year, too, dear Susan, my new best friend ;) I already am kicking myself for not buying Autumn Sunset....BTW, take a pic of it in flower for PFs, will you, please?

And I have Allium christophii for you this fall if you want, so don't buy any. Looks good in front of Peonies.

Suzy

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Darn it....you guys shouldn't have posted about Bluestone's sale. I ordered Daisy Red, Daisy Gold, Hopscotch, Pure Delight, Curtis Rice, Tenderness and Red Climax from Bluestone (and a few perennials for good measure). lol

Thx for the tip on the sale!

Then I'm sure you don't want to know about Thompson & Morgan's 1/2 price seed sale that started today, either. LOL!

Suzy

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

I lost my mums, too. Just a trace of one of the plants remains. They were beautiful for 2 years. If I have room this fall, I'll try mums again. It's not fall without them.

Middle River, MD(Zone 7a)

Goodness me..... I'm a novice/beginner when it comes to plants.... I've had a mum for 2 years and was wondering what happened to it....

We looked yesterday and green leaves are just now appearing...... Do you think it has a chance of surviving?

thanks much - janice

Yes! If you are lucky, your Mums might come up from offsest on the rootstock very late after a freeze once they are sure it's safe and the coast is clear (from frost). Has anybody else had this happen?

'Nother question: I bought some mum seed from the T&M sale. Has anybody grown Mums from seed before? I never knew they had seed LOL! http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/us/en/product/7497/1

There is no Chrysanthemum indicum in PFs, so I couldn't look it up.

Suzy

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I'm planning on growing the mums from bluestone in pots. Do you think I could bury the pots up to the top in soil this fall and keep them over winter that way? Then I could dig them up and continue to grow them in the pots?

susan

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

The 'experts' at Powell Gardens told me mums cannot be grown from seeds. I found 2 more very tiny sprouts of my Cannelli yesterday. So I guess they are doing the late sprout from rootstock.

Yesterday I thought of something I used to know about mums. The memory was triggered by a blooming, potted mum I saw at Lowe's (in the houseplant section). I looked at the tag and saw that the mum was hardy down to -30 degrees and so I bought it. I brought it home and ripped it apart. It was comprised of 5 branched and rooted cuttings plus a lot of flowers. While I was repotting them into 5 separate pots and working with the cuttings I made when I cut it way back, I remembered something I read a long time ago, and somehting I sued to do religiously until I quit growing mums because they got too big and I had too many:

For mums to live through the winter, they need to be dug and divided every spring. Single divisions will live through a winter, no problem, it's when there are more than one division that they get fussy, the more divisions, the more likely they are to die. I read this a long time ago -- in the late 70s or early 80s. One of the books I memorized was the book writen by the founders of White Flower Farm, and it could have been in there.

Why I think this theory is true: If you've ever dug up a mum, you will see that it has many, many divisions after just one year. Some of them come up pretty far away from the original mother divisions, but some come up practically welded to the original. It is the growth habit of the second kind that fail over winter...but these varieities also make the most number of divisions, so are popular with the florist suppliers of potted mums or any supplier/grower who gets paid by the number of cuttings.

I just thought I would throw that out for comments. Maybe it's somethings we could test to see if it's true.

Suzy

Mums can be grown from seed, although a hybrid variety won't generally transmit a true replication via seed.

From what I've read mums are suppose to be dug and divided about every 3 years. (I have some that haven't been divided in over 6. : - } ).

The difference between a florist and a garden mum is the latter generates stolons and the former usually doesn't.

I've been trying to get a mum forum started here for things just like this. Y'all posting over there http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/731769/ would sure be a help in that endeavor!

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I know that several people in my area, are having blooms on their mums, in june.What is that going to do to the fall blooms, and should they be cut back.Thank you, Mike.

Everything I've read says the cut-off date for cutting them back for fall blooms is July 4th. That gives them time to bloom before harsh weather ends their blooming.

My take on that is that if you live in a mild climate like I do OR if you know that the variety(ies) you have only take a few weeks of shorter days to start setting buds you could ~conceivably~ wait until later in the year to cut them back.

Personally I've got most of mine cut back, save for a very limited few branches w/ single buds I'm allowing to mature. Once they finish blooming I'm pruning the branch back to 3-5" from the crown.

HTH,

Donna

Greensboro, AL

mqiq: I think its best to cut off early blooms and pinch, pinch, pinch to make bushy plants for fall. Maybe one bloom if you forgot what the plant is (!). I have several of those. Use the pinchings to make more plants.

Thanks, gloria125, I have never seen this happen before, and I have lost some too.I intend to take cuttings, and try to increse my fall prenniels, and yes, they are easy to root.From your indication, you pinch back 3 times.I'm still learning.Mike

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I was working on weeding out the flower bed at the cafe for the first time this season and discovered she has a LOT of the Belgium mum Canelli that I took over there about 3 or 4 years ago. That whole bed is right up against a 5' tall concrete wall painted white so it got lots of protection from the cold. And since they didn't mow up close to it until I weeded it and pointed out how much more they needed to mow off it got protection from that last hard cold spell. She even has a thriving Butterfly bush - Black Knight coming back from the roots. I don't think any of my 3 or 4 made it. Anyway, I got some healthy starts of the Cannilli and brought them home.

I don't cut my mums back at all and they do fine. Many bloom for a LONG time during the summer.

From everything I've read your not suppose to cut your mums back until spring as the vegetation affords the roots protection for the cold.

Greensboro, AL

re: growing mums from seeds. If you want a mum exactly like another mum you should take a cutting. If you grow mums from seed, its like a box of chocolates, in the Movie, Forest Gump. You never know what you're gonna get. If you like surprises, seeds are a good way to go. Then if you like what you get, you can take some cuttings.

Shasta daisies, Chrysanthemum maximum, can also be grown from seed and the seeds are available from major seed suppliers like T & M.

Middle River, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's what my mum is looking like today, June 26th, 2007........

Guess I should be glad I have anything.......

Thumbnail by wallis104

Wallis104, that looks like a new cutting, but, as you said, better than nothing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.