I would like ideals for perennials to start for next season

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

these would be plants to sell in the spring ready to bloom next summer
thanks Dave

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Dave, I'm not quite sure if these are perennials or not but I've always been partial to
some Missouri wildflowers like Purple Coneflower and Brown Eyed Susans.
Will

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Dayliles, irises, peonies- people will like those. Clematis, sedum. I can't think of anything else yet. If I remember I will check at work.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I've had great success with colombine, shasta daisies, rudbeckia (black eyed susans), poppies, mondarda (bee balm) for perennials. Also did lots of annuals that I start in winter (late Jan-early Feb). Annuals that were easy to do from seed were: cleome (spider flower), Thunbergia (black eyed susan vine), nicotania (flowering tobacco), and Cosmos.

I know there's a million ways to do seed starting but I truly LOVE the APS seed starting sets from Gardeners Supply. Reusable year to year if you take care of them and clean in a bleach solution between seed crops.
http://www.gardeners.com/APS/default/StandardCatalog.APS_Cat.cat

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Dave, you would need to check the legality of this, but perhaps if you grew some canna this year, kept them seperate so they will be easy to identify, and then sold the offshoots in pots next year. Canna reproduce wildly so it should be easy to make money on them. You do have to dig them in the fall.

In the wild flowers I would try some of the perennial linara(?) like butter and eggs. There are 2 kinds of chamomille too. English and Roman. I have both. I'm not sure which is which but could find out and supply you with lots of one of them. I think it is the Roman. Grows to about 4' tall, loves all kinds of soil and growing conditions tho it prefers some sun. Makes a great relaxing tea. Very dainty looking, nice smelling, very hardy plant.

Then there are the hard mints. Lots of those available. They root from cuttings easily and multiply rapidly.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I also have a plant called Boltonia. It is a willowy looking plant about 3 foot tall that is the last plant to bloom in the fall. It can be invasive. I have dug out a lot of it today. I'll pot up a bunch of it for you if you want it.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Daiseys might be nice. I love the 12" tall ones. I think they are Shasta Daisey.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.