Escarole in the South?

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

We love escarole and always were able to find it when we lived in CT. Now that we live in SC, we're unable to find it. Is it not possible to grow in SC, or is it just not popular in the south?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

It definitely is not popular. It is a cool season crop, so would probably have to be a winter crop in this area. It is supposed to be very subject to stress and bolts at the drop of a hat. here it would be called broad leaf chicory or endive, but I have never grown it or know anyone who has.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

I have successfully grown escarole and endive in the past. They were grown in a hay bale cold frame during the winter and did very well there. I have grown them in my present location, far less successfully, direct sowing in late winter. You would do well to follow FarmerDill's advice and seed some in late fall and nurture them through the winter. They may need occasional hard freeze protection in your location, I am not familiar with growing in zone 8A.

I grow it in the spring, fall and all winter long. YUM! I have the last of it in now.

GGG

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

GGG: That's good news, I'm in zone 8 so I should be able to grow it too!! I'll give it a try, come fall......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.