Waukegan, IL(Zone 5a)

We live on a busy city street so my kitties are indoor cats but here are three of my four on the first day this spring that was warm enough to throw open all the windows.

Thumbnail by chris_h
Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

beautiful kitties, chris! I have a black one (Magnolia), a ginger (Angus) and a calico (Lulu) as well, though Lulu (officially Miss Louisa May Alcatt) doesn't have such a beautiful white background. What a great photo opportunity!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

A delightful photo - could be on a greeting card, or a calendar!

Waukegan, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks! I took a picture from outside too but unfortunately you could not see the black cat (Stellaluna). She just didn't show up against the dark interior of the house. The calico is Dulcinea and the orange tabby is Gabi. We also have another calico (sister to Dulcie) named Katarina. A friend who worked at the local city pound stopped by one Saturday morning with the sisters as tiny kittens. He said they likely would not survive the weekend at the pound and would I like to have them. What could I say? I already had 7 cats at the time but what cat lover could have said no? We have since lost several cats to old age and are down to a more manageable 4.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

""three of four "" looks like you need another window.

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Chris_h, they are precious!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, I've been the victim of emotional cat-blackmail before. And never regretted it once.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

That is a really cute shot. I have 4 cats and since we live in the country where there are large packs of coyotes that roam, our furbabies are all inside. Here is a shot of one of mine in their screened porch my hubby built for them. He used strong wire as just regular screening would be easily torn. Sometimes I feel bad that they can't roam and play, then I find remains in the arroyo and am glad they are safely inside.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch

nice setup for your kitties - I wish I had something like that . . . we get coyotes, too, although not usually in large packs. Two of my cats go out a lot (they were outdoor cats long before I got them), my third one only goes out when I'm out there - and I discourage her because she is such a hunter of little birds!

Waukegan, IL(Zone 5a)

Your cat enclosure looks fantastic. Those are 4 lucky kitties! My niece moved to Colorado a few years ago with her two cats. One escaped outdoors in the first week and never returned. My niece had seen a coyote in the adjacent field the same day her kitty escaped. Poor little city kitty didn't know about coyotes. But we like to think she wandered too far and was found by a kind family and is doing just fine.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Yes, I would have to think that way too. But when I hike in my arroyo I have found remains of cats so I just can't let mine roam. I used to let them out when we lived in a more urban area. But when I was moving in the builders were working next door and warned me that a neighbors dog had been killed by the coyotes. Of course the downside is that I used to have lots of grapes when my cats guarded the vines. Now my peaches and grapes are mostly for the birds. That vine growing on the cat porch is a grape. Maybe I will have a few for myself now! LOL!

Cactuspatch, is it feasible for you to use bird netting over your grapevines and peach trees to protect the ripening fruit from the birds? Your porch is beautiful and a wonderful, safe place for your cats to enjoy the "outdoors"!

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Yes Figaro, I have used the netting but the trees are large and they do allow me to get some fruit. Just not the large amounts you can harvest when you have cats chasing away the birds. One of my older cats used to sit under the grapevines. She realized they were attracted to the fruit and so she was my best "scarecrow". Of course I like to watch the birds. That is why I planted pomegranites near the cat porch. I will get to eat a few and the rest will be fun for me and the cats to watch the birds eating!

Cactuspatch, I agree. It's fun to watch the birds. I have a screened gazebo in the back yard where I take my 2 cats on nice days. The birds go about their business at the feeders and nesting boxes without realizing anyone is in the gazebo, so I (we) get to enjoy a close-up.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Chris, Loved the picture.
toofew

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

Here are mine:

http://davesgarden.com/journal/edit/viewbycat.php?cat=48828

-Joe

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Joe, you poor thing - does that mean you don't have *any*????

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

Do they not show up? :( I added mine as plants to my journal. :) I couldn't figure out which obsession was greater, so I combined the two. :)

Try going to them this way:

http://davesgarden.com/journal/j/search.php?search_text=felis&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

Searching the journals for felis ... I am not the first one to do it, apparently. :)

-Joe

Joe, beautiful kitties!!!!!

Ah, there they are! Quite lovely.

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

They think so too. :) I have to admit, I am prejudiced. I'd love to have a dog again some day, but my kitties are pretty amazing all on their own. :)

-Joe

Same here, Joe, I truly want a dog again someday, but all three of my kitties think they are way better than a dog and would be devastated by one! I'll wait until they are all older and not so demanding of my attention. My oldest guy, about 10 or so we think, would be okay - he is Mr. Mellow, but the two girl kitties, one about 4 and the other not yet 2, would be beside themselves.

Gosh, it so totally depends on the dog - my next door neighbor's dog drives *my* dogs nuts, but I saw a kitten curl up on her tail and fall asleep... but once my current dogs are gone, I will never have more than two again.

Hah.

LOL - yeah, bet me!

I don't bet unless I know I'm gonna win, so for now... .guess I'll shut up, lol!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.