Can anyone identify this azalea?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

It is growing outside my boss' office window. It need pruning so I thought that would be the perfect time to try to root some cuttings. The blooms are a medium size. But I'd love to know the name of it. Can anyone help?

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

It's 'Ben Morrison', after the Glenn Dale hybridizer.

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

I would love to know how you plan to root the cuttings! I have some that need trimming and want to try to make some cuttings. Thanks.
ShirleyC

Malvern, PA(Zone 7a)

Rooting evergreen azaleas is (relatively) easy. Google "rooting azalea cuttings". Basically you dip them in rooting hormone (not sure of the correct one; see google/azalea society/etc), and stick them in a sterile mixture at 100% humidity for a few months under lights.

Definitely Ben Morrison. Very nice.

I have about 25 now in rooting beds. They are covered and quite moist. I used rootone. I had some soft potting mix, not the 1/2 vermiculite and 1/2 peat moss recommended but perhaps good enough. We shall see.
After they have rooted, should they be potted and fertilized?

Round Lake Beach, IL(Zone 5a)

Just wanted to say....Beautiful picture, hope the ones I planted will be just as beautiful.

Loren

Malvern, PA(Zone 7a)

They should root; evergreen azaleas are generally easy rooters I'm told. Note: rooting can take a while!

We did 2 pans-full of cuttings. My spousal unit covered his with a plate of glass, leaving a small area for air. I covered mine with plastic wrap which wouldn't stay on and now all the leaves have fallen off and I fear they have all died.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.