Volunteer Blue Hubbard Squash

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

These came up where I roto-tilled in the last Blue Hubbard from last year's harvest. I thinned them out to 4 plants and side-dressed with fertilizer. These are my favorite winter squash although they do get pretty big for just two people.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Wow Big Red! What do you do with the blue hubbard squash? I am trying golden hubbard this year.

kanita

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

kanita,

We eat what we can, give away some, and set back a couple to keep through the winter. Like I said though, they get pretty big and are generally much too big for two people. If you cook them up, mash them and put into freezer bags and freeze them, they'll keep a long time in the freezer. You've got to cook them first or they don't taste good at all when frozen.

Here's a picture of two of many that I raised 2 years ago. We're still eating some of these out of the freezer.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

WOW! Thanks for the info.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

You'll want to leave plenty of room to grow these, here's a picture with the plants about 7 weeks old. They're crowding out the tomatoes on one side and the peppers on the other. I thought I left plenty of room, I left eight feet on each side. Time to trim them back I guess. ☺

Red

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Here's a picture of a small squash developing at 6 weeks.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

The fertile soil of Bethelridge, KY, combined with a master gardener's touch!

Look out, Red. Someday the doorbell will ring and you will open it, thinking nobody is there. But there will be a vine. A very large vine....

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

BDale60,

I'm thinking so! It's already outgrown the garden and is 5 feet out into my lawn!

Red

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

WOW! Big_Red! I thought I want to try these but I don't think I have enough property....LOL

I planted my pumpkins too early. I probably will have to replant for fall crop....cook and freeze the ones growing now.

P...a slightly smaller bigred

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

bigred,

If you like winter squash you should really try these. I've got a few extra seeds from last year, if you're interested just let me know.

Red

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.