What to do about what's eating Hibiscus

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I came home today and found that about a dozen leaves on my perennial hibiscus looked like this (see photo).
I looked more closely at some of the other leaves and found these little caterpillars (2nd picture).
Question: Anyone know what they are? - and - What's the best way to get rid of them?

I pulled off al the leaves that they were on.

Thanks!

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Here are the little dears.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Deb,
If your going organic, I've had some luck with Seaweed extract, and it's beneficial for the plant at the same time. I've just started using it, so don't know about long term. I've been using a little bit every week.
I've been keeping a log of what I find on the internet and links to sites in my Diary.
I may have already sent that to you on another thread, can't remember! Other than that I just get the hose and spray them off.
http://davesgarden.com/journal/ed/index.php?tabid=1923
Rj

This message was edited May 10, 2007 6:48 AM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks RJ. Yes, I can't say my gardening is totally organic, but I'd always rather find an alternative to just spraying insecticides when I can. Thanks for the link with all the good info.
Deb

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Mine either, although as I learn, things are leaning on that side just because of what works and doesn't. I will admit that I've noticed that the Seaweed works much better combined with a pesticide/fungicide than either things do as a stand alone. I'm going to be using it today with the pesticide..last week I used it alone. It really kick spidermites behinds combined together...that's the biggest fight I seem to be fighting. I have so many other plants I leave the butterfly cattepillars alone, but am ever watchful for the tent catepillars.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh yes. I have already spotted a couple of tent cats making little cocoons in my setcreasea of all places. I don't know what kind this are on the hibiscus, tho.
Deb

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't know what they are either...I've not seen them before. There were quite a few of them too. What kind of Hibiscus is it? I do keep an eye out for butterflies laying eggs, so I can remember what to be kind to...lol.
oh yes..I too spotted tent catepillars ..wow..over a month ago..little bitty guys..I've been ever watchful since. The neighborhood had quite the infection last year..Once the get that tent going ...it's hard to get rid of them..it's almost water proof.
Rj

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Don't know the name of the hibiscus. I lost the tag a while back. It's a perennial, not a tropical. That's all I know. Dies back every winter, comes back bigger every spring.
Deb

Blackwood, NJ(Zone 7a)

I have the same exact pest. They only touch my hibiscus, nothing else. I think, from my research, that they may be the larvae of wasps, but I'm not certain. I tried capsaicin (1 Tb. red pepper sauce in 1 cup water) and spray both caterpillars and leaves. This is supposed to be effective against soft-bodied insects. And I've tried that bacteria ("BT" Bacillus Th____) that is harmful to all caterpillar digestive systems but not humans. It comes in powder form. I wear a mask and glasses, so I don't breathe it in. When used together, both methods seem to help the situation. They seem to disappear late in the season. I guess they all finally mature to whatever they become - wasps, moths. I'm not sure.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

That's a Hibiscus Sawfly larva.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/4413

DebinSC, the BugFiles page for this critter could use a good photograph:

http://davesgarden.com/bf/go/901/

There's some info there, too.

This message was edited May 12, 2007 9:17 PM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sandy: Thanks. I will try the capsaicin, since I have some on hand.
Claypa: Thank you for ID'ing the little pests! I've added pics to BugFiles. :)
Deb

central Arkansas, AR(Zone 7b)

I am glad to finally have an ID on this pest that has been eating on my beloved hibiscus every summer.

Some years back, after losing a young Lady Baltimore hib when they completely defoliated it, I resorted to using Sevin to control the worms. But have always wondered (and felt a little guilty about) what it was I was killing. Even tried to grow some to maturity as I have done with the Monarch cats, but was never successful...and was secretly happy as I was afraid I'd discover it was some pretty little butterfly...good to know it is just a sawfly (though it is kinda cute...the adult, not the worm...yuck)

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

My hardy hibs have been attacked by this! Today I finally cut the whole thing back to the ground and tossed the skeleton into the garbage. Does anyone know if the larvae can live without a host? In the ground?

I was searching for a control for this and found this thread.
Anyone else having this problem??

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

sandy, Bt doesn't work on sawfly larvae, only cats.

Carol Stream, IL(Zone 5a)

I guess I posted my question in the wrong place. So with new advice, here goes. It's early October and I STILL have Japanese Beetles eating my roses, mallow, etc. Insecticidal soap did not work. I've also picked off thousands this summer and threw them in soapy water. But more continue to come. What can I do so I don't have this problem next year? Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks. I live in a western suburb of Chicago.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

lgks, read this thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/898513/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.