How many herbs per container?

Southern, NH(Zone 5b)

I picked up these "pots" at Target- hard plastic buckets for $2.99 each - and drilled holes in the bottom for drainage. They're a little over 2 gallons each, about 10" in diameter (for the round) and about 8" deep.

My question: I have lemon gem marigold, fernleaf dill, purple basil, sweet basil, pepper basil, dukat dill, caraway, chocolate mint, and orange mint. At least two plants of each. Can I get two plants in each of these containers (and more in the oblong), or will that be overcrowding? I realize that each will need different space. I have other containers too, but these are the smallest. What can I reasonably fit in them?

Thumbnail by ckk
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

They may be a bit crowded, but they'll still do OK if you put 2 or 3 basil plants in a pot of that size. The mint will fill the pot pretty quickly whether you start with one plant or two... but if it gets too rootbound, you can always pop it out and split it. I don't have any experience with the dukat dill or the caraway, but I've crammed too many basils and fernleaf dill and lemon gem marigolds into my planter boxes before with no bad effects.

I think they'll make a very cheery display!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

ckk, those are the colors of the buckets @ Target? fantastic!

Southern, NH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, critterologist. I've looked in various container books, and other than the dill, which seems to need a deep enough container for the taproot, the others don't seem to have any suggestions. I'm giving the two mints their own pots. The others, I'll mix and match. I like the purple basil with the marigolds - good color combo.

anastasia - I really loved the colors, too. The plastic is that hard stuff that doesn't crack when you drill it - really sturdy. I think they'll look great on my deck!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I have old dull plastic 'terra cotta' planters that I want to liven up but the spray paint for plastic comes in boring boring colors. I would love to get a lime green one or two.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.