Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

My mums that I planted last fall after they flowered are starting to bloom. If I let them bloom now, then dead head them, will they bloom again this fall?

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

yes i believe so. i had 2 bloom for me last spring and again during the fall.

My silly caryopteris is blooming too! I guess after a fairly warm winter, and then drought the plants think it must be august!!

GGG

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

OK. I'll let them bloom, then deadhead them and hope they bloom this fall too.

It's just that I had heard something a long time ago about "pinching them back". I don't know what this means, so I just assumed it meant to remove these first blooms.

cn

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

most people do pinch off the first buds during the spring. my plants that bloomed last spring had small buds and the flowers weren't as pretty as the ones in the fall.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

lovesdaylilies,
So you had blooms in the spring AND the fall, but your spring blooms were small?

cn

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Any more opinions?

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

i think your suppose to pinch them up until the 4th of july.

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

I found that when I pinched back my buds the later resulting blooms weren't very spectacular - it may have been too hot when they did bloom, so now I let nature dictate their season. These are mums I planted three or four years ago, so this may make a difference.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

I pinch my buds off before they bloom, around Mothers day and again around Fathers day maybe a little later. When they do flower after that there are many more blooms and they are fuller.
chris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.