Iris for a patriotic border?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, iris fanciers!

It's been a while since I've posted here but I have been lurking and looking at all the wonderful iris clumps photos and was hoping for some advice...sooo....here goes...

I would like to plant a "Patriotic" themed flower border that will bloom around May/Memorial Day (in Zone 6a) using big bright blue irises along with white iris, white daisies and red geraniums.

Can anyone recommend to me some nice big blue iris and some white ones, too?

I need this garden to be 'eye-catching' and the iris as long-blooming as possible.

Thanks so much for any advice! t.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

I've been thinking, but don't know of any specific late blooming TB that are blue, most of mine are shades of purple. Do you often have TBs on Memorial Day, is that mid-late season for you? It is here.

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

Sea Power should bloom for you about this time.........it just finished up here, covered in bloom for 3 weeks in 80 degree temps.......

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Breakers is a tall late deep blue iris.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Red? How about Samurai Warrior for a late big red?

White late iris? Maybe Friendship?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

What's more American than an elvis song, Blue Suede Shoes is a mid-late blue bloomer.

A short mid-late bloomer for me if Deep Pacific, very dark blue -- goes great with Dutch Chocolate as a red and whichever white still happens to be in bloom for me as cut flowers.

Thank you for all the good recommendations. Oooh! 'Breakers' and 'Blue Suede Shoes' look like they may be perfect and it sounds like they may be re-bloomers, too.

'Friendship' will be a perfect accent, too.

This is for a rental house near a college campus. The house comes up for rent May 1st or there abouts every year (also time when parents are on campus a lot) and I want the house and garden to look spiffy (curb appeal, you know) for prospective tenants then.

The college color is blue and I thought white, but now that I look at the website I see a lot of gold!

Well, I just googled for 'Blue Suede Shoes' and couldn't find it listed in a catalogue. Any leads?
Now I'm thinking it's very high $$$!

Thumbnail by tabasco
Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Blue Suede Shoes is still listed at bluejiris.com for $2.20. I think it's also at Schreiner's but that is $$.

Edited to add: They also have Breakers for the same price.

This message was edited May 9, 2007 8:40 PM

Thanks, Elizabethtown,

In all the searching I have done on iris I have never come across the Blue 'J' Iris nursery! That's a great website, especially if looking for certain colors.

http://www.bluejiris.com/

And the prices seem fantastic! Do you know if you get a nice sized rhizome for $2.20? Seems too good to be true!

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

I did for the order I placed their first year out. I've not heard of too many complaints. There were really friendly and helpful. The rhizomes are just right for growing here on the East coast and because of their reasonable prices, they sell out fast. That's my only draw back, but hey it just gives me reason to have to order as soon as the site is up and running. Check out the information in the Garden Watchdog.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Blue Suede Shoes is available at Nicholl's Gardens. See below:

http://www.nichollsgardens.com/tb_b.htm

Thank you! I can see I will have a lot of fun with this project!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.