Largest TB blooms

Louisville, KY

Which TBs in your garden have the largest blooms. Does size matter?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

There are a great many Tall Bearded Iris that are huge. A good example is Dusty Challenger. It seems that the newest irises tend to be very large. I saw one at the AIS show last week called Melted Butter that was huge. There were more huge ones than smaller ones.
Does size matter? That is probably something for you to decide. Do you like larger flowers? I do to an extent, but I know lots of iris with smaller flowers that I like as well. And not all the new iris out have huge blossoms. It is sort of a matter of taste. What isn't so good is a large flowered TB that has small flowers because something went wrong in the weather or the soil. If it is large flowered by nature, it should have large flowers. If it is not large flowered by nature, then it should not have huge flowers.
Big is nice, but not always best.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'd say Dusky Challenger too. And it's fragrant and I wouldn't be without it. And in addition it isn't expensive. What a great plant. I like large flowers too. Sometimes flowers can be smaller just after dividing or when newly planted in the garden though.

Louisville, KY

I do like large flowers particularly among plants such as Iris. There are somne who like even small flowered sun flowers. Now of course some plants do look great when smothered in a lot of small blooms (phlox and soapwort come to mind) . Others look good with medium size blooms that are proportionate to the size of the rest of the plant for example dwarf and intermediate border iris. But when you have a plant such as TBs that have relatively few blooms that is 10 or 20 at most in a normal clump, it seems to me that large blooms are important. That of course is a matter of taste. There is a coincidence here. I was looking at dusky challenger here in my garden which is a nice size bloom in my garden this year which occassioned this question. Thanks for the heads up on melted butter.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Candy Apple Classic is another winner. Hold My Hand is beautiful and maybe my favorite but it's still pretty expensive.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Bridal Wreath is variety with big bloom, not quite as big as DC.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Going over my notes from the Convention the following are also huge. However, I didn't write down huge by all the ones that were huge. There were really a lot of them:

Vision Intrigue ( Tasco)

Blue Temptation ( Schreiners)

Banana Frappe (Ernst)

Decadence (Blythe)

Stop Flirting (Blythe)

Say Goodbye (B. Hager)

Dusky He-Man ( like Dusky Challenger but lighter purple)

Raging Tide ( Keppel)

Some of these are expensive, others not, but they all had huge written by their names in my notes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.