Planted Birdhouse Gourds and Loofa Gourds - but...

Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

I planted the seeds 8 days ago. The loofa seeds are sprouting and look great, but my birdhouse gourd seeds haven't done anything.

I thought I'd see a little sprout or something? Do birdhouse gourd seeds take a little longer?

Dover, NJ

I've heard they can take up to a month, but I haven't actually grown them.

Mark

Oh, okay. Well, then I speck I need to be more patient. Thanks!

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I don't rememer how long it took mine but it wasn't long at all. They are blooming and fruiting already.
Jan...

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Here's the one you gave me at Corky's RU, Jan. It's taking off and already has a couple of babies.

Thumbnail by BlueGlancer

Hey, no fair. It's bigger than mine. What kinds of steroids are you feeding it? LOL

I gave it alittle Miracle Grow while it was waiting to be planted, then after it was in the ground for about a week, I put a tad of 10-10-10.

I'm fixing to go out and put alittle RU around it, to get the grass to back off. We made it it's own little ladder out of 2 poles we bought at HD, and some bamboo and twine. The grapes are just getting started on the trellis above, so it's gonna borrow the trellis this year.

Thumbnail by BlueGlancer

Lucy,
where did you get your farm fencing on top?

I got it at Tractor Supply, it's those 16 ft cattle panels. I bought 1 and cut it. Made that trellis, and an arch out of it, for the front of my gate to the backyard. Probably any feed store will have them. They are fairly easy to work with. : )

Here's my Queens wreath just before you get out to the grapes, and way back in the back is some of Ariels bananas(barely can see them), the rest of them are down at our pasture.

Thumbnail by BlueGlancer
Carmichael, CA

All my daughter's loofa sprouts died and we have no idea why. Everything else has ben doing real well. I may have to go buy more seeds...joy.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Luffa seeds and gourds, I find if we soak them in luke-warm water over night, they germinate more rapidly, some does sprout after 3-5 days in soil-less growing medium. Giddymoon; sounds like soil pathogens may have attacked your young seedlings. Did you sow your seed outdoor or in flat?
Kim

I soaked my loofa seeds, but was directed to plant my birdhouse gourd seeds without soaking. Wahhhh I guess I should have soaked them as well. I'm going to give them a few more weeks and see if they sprout.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I planted some Pumkins vines as well this early spring. They're not very big yet, but making flower already. :-) This edible and ornamental fruits need a long hot sunny summer to produce fruits.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.